Stripping Paint off a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Nov 6, 2005.

1. I love natural coloured basses, and I have an old Squire Jazz lying around.

I don't know if it will be one piece (but I doubt it). Is it worth getting someone to strip the paint off?

I would be tempted to try it on a more expensive bass but the risk factor is too high (I'm just picturing my Geddy Lee with a natural colour maple body :hyper: ).

Any past experiances? Warnings? Flamings for being stupid enough to even think about doing that to a Geddy Lee? :ninja:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Squire will look better wit the paint ON.
  3. Yeah thought so, but getting someone to professionally strip and laquer the Geddy Lee body?

It's just a thought...
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well im a bad personn to ask since black and maple is my favorite color combo.
  5. You could... but I suppose you would have to stain/refinish it with an oil to make sure it does not look or feel like crap when it is done... and honestly, with the amount of money that might cost and the fact that you might not even be happy with the end result... I'd suggest selling your instrument and purchasing an instrument already in a natural finish.
  6. That's the thing, if I sell it, I lose everything I love about it.

I could probably order a replacement body, it being not the same as the normal jazz (bridge pickup closer to bridge being the most notable thing).

Anyone know if someone like Warmoth would make a replacement?
  7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm kind of interested in the whole process of stripping the finish, cause I'm not a huge fan of the black on my Geddy. I mean, I like it, but I'd like it more natural.
  8. i just recently stripped and refinished a MIM fretless. The stripping process can get a little tiring, but I bought a little palm sander, and started with a 40 grit because the cheaper fenders have that heavy poly crap on them. After I got that off i progressively increased the grit of the sand paper making it smoother and ending with like a 400. i didn't like the wood underneath so i went with an anthem white and bought all chrome hardware. I replaced the bridge with a badassII and got new chrome knobbies and stuff. I have just put on the final coat and waiting for it to dry and put clear coat.