Stripping the finish of a MM SUB?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Perfect Placebo, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Perfect Placebo

Perfect Placebo

Feb 21, 2004
    Okay, so after a little strap malfunction, my bass now has a nice little gash at the bottom of the body. However, after looking it over, I noticed that the wood beneath doesn't look half bad, and in fact, the bass as a whole might look better with a natural finish (in addition to getting rid of that cheesy pickguard). Anyway, how would I go about stripping the finish? What sort of tools would I need?
  2. Man, I think I'm going to give that Crazy Glue trick, a shot. I hate that little ding in my Jazz, and I don't figure I can ugly it up any more than it is, if I give that a shot. I could always let my gf's stepdad do it to, he's quite handy with woodworking, glass etching, etc. Anyway, great article, thanks for pointing that out Treena! :D Can't wait to see how this goes! :hyper:
  3. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL

I'd check the 6th picture before you do anything drastic. I can't say yours will definitely be like that, but there's certainly no reason it couldn't. That's why SUBs don't have natural finishes. :)
  4. Perfect Placebo

Perfect Placebo

Feb 21, 2004
    Yeah, we (my dad and I) just decided to do a gloss black finish instead. Should look nice with a new pickguard.