Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strobe Tuning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Jan 25, 2002.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As the proud owner of a Korg DTR-1 tuner, there's a mystery of strobe tuning that I can't seem to solve. Perhaps someone here knows...

I know how to switch to strobe-mode, and I know that when the LED stops moving, the note's in tune. Also, if the LED moves in one direction or another, that indicates if the note is sharp or flat.

But, what's a mystery to me is why use the strobe function instead of regular Hz or even Cent mode in the first place? I've heard some say that strobe-mode actually helps with intonation, but how?

Is strobe tuning actually better? Why?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The analog strobe tuners made by Peterson are more accurate than any digital tuner will ever be. There's no microchip in the Peterson thinking to itself, "Is the note 52 cents sharp or 53 cents sharp?" If the note is 52.004673 cents off, the Peterson will reflect that.

The "strobe effect" on the Korg is meant to approximate the look of the Peterson, but the technology in the Korg is still digital. It's just a special effect, no more accurate than the Hz or cent mode.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So, it's strictly an accuracy thing??? And, the strobe function on the Korg works just as well as the others...

So, what do you think the point of having it is?

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I would think that a strobe simulation mode would respond slightly faster to a played note, before a digital needlepoint could "decide" where to be. I could be wrong though.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's just a special effect. Maybe it's easier to see on a darkened stage or from a distance.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think a light would be easier to see on a stage than a meter.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What do you mean?