Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seamus, Apr 15, 2004.

1. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Hey All,

I ran a search and came up empty, so here goes.

Saw this thing in the recent BP mag, and I became somewhat curious about the product. I'm in no way associated with the firm, but was wondering if anyone else had thoughts about it based on the product descriptions and such?

I already use a TU-2 and have always been pleased with it's speed and accuracy, so it's not that I'm really in need of another tuner. The combination of features in this new unit intrigued me though, anyone else thinking of checking one out when they become available?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The only advantage I can see is the Buzz Feiten. Can't imagine anything bad about a Peterson except maybe that battery door snapping off.
  3. Looks like a race car and I love the color but knowing Peterson it will be 200+ bucks.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Watch the NAMM commercial. They portray it as a race car too.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Yeah, it's definitely not anything I would need really, since I have Tuner/DI covered already. However if I didn't already own other units, I think I would probably take an interest in this thing. Kind of curious to hear what people think once it launches.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, I think it's $300+. It's more expensive than the other Petersen strobe tuners, but you do get a DI, and a couple of other bells and whistles.
  7. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    id rather have a full sized peterson strobe for onstage...they look sweet :D
  8. I suppose there are pros and cons with it;

True Bypass (!)
    Strob tuning, maximum accuracy!
    Built-in DI
    Sturdy construction
    ...did I mention it is True Bypass?

9. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't use pedals at all. I do however use a tuner and several basses because I play in 1/2 step and standard tuning. Does this pedal allow you to push a button and your standard tuned bass will sound 1/2 step down?

Are there any pedals out there that do this? This would eliminate me having to take several basses wherever I go.
  10. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    To my understanding you can program it to almost anything. Normal bass to tune-down bass to pedal steel, dobro etc. How many tunings you can program ??????? - 'cause I don't know.
  11. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No it does not make a standard tuned bass sound 1/2 step down, it's just a tuner.

The Roland Vbass will do this effect, but it's very expensive if this is all you need it for. The shifted tone is passable and is probably fine in a live mix, but I can tell the difference and would never record with it. My band does 1/2 a set detuned and I don't use my Roland, I switch to a 2nd bass that's already tuned to E flat.
  12. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I own one and it beats the pants off of any other tuner I have ever owned or used. It is fast, stable and extremely accurate, which is a big help in setting intonation. I highly recommend it! They cost less than $200 and are worth every penny IMHO.
  13. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I'm actually thinking about buying two Peterson tuners. A Strobostomp for the pedal board and one of the big ones for my "setup shop"

Are the big ones more precise than the Strobostomp ???