1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strokin 1-2 string skips

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by basteout, May 25, 2011.

1. basteout

basteout

Nov 6, 2009
    Anyone find the triplet variations as challenging as I do? Any advice on approaching it? I find that I just cant make the crossings that quickly.

2. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Ausberto Acevedo Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Slow it down then.

3. basteout

basteout

Nov 6, 2009
    obviously. I do start at whatever tempo I can play it the trouble is I am finding it hard to go faster

4. Resist tensing-up when when the tempo is on the faster side. Keep the weight of your arm focused into the string and dont use too much bow. Start slow and keep bumping up the metronome incrementally from there. Do you practice in front of a mirror? I never did at first however through the careful guidance of a great teacher, I really began to see for myself what I didn't realize until I began observing my own technique.

5. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Ausberto Acevedo Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Sorry my last post was not exactly helpful. Anyhow, what I do to get things faster is to start at a speed in which I can play the passage perfectly. Then I use Galamian (sp?) practice rhythms then play the passage as written. After all that I bump up the metronome one notch and repeat. I do not do more than ten repetitions or metronome markings per session, i.e 100 run throughs including the rhythms. The next day, this is important, I start 4 clicks slower than I ended the previous day and repeat the same cycle.

As far as string crossings, try isolating just the right hand using open strings. Then proceed with the above cycle after you have gotten them down. This is the essence of Zimmerman's string crossing book. Hope that is more helpful. Good luck and keep at it. Strokin' is an amazing technique builder.