Strong abrasive solution to rid of scratches

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stoneroses, Aug 2, 2004.

1. stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    the crescent plate at the side of my stingray for the knobs has got a deep scratch.
    makes my heart ache looking at that
    the surface is shiny so i'll have to skip sandpaper.
    is there any strong solution which may be able to bite deep into the metal to remove the scratch?
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    heavy polishing compound followed by a good chrome polish like neverdull or something similar.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I kinda doubt you'll be able to polish it completely out. If that plate was polished metal instead of chrome plated, you could, but I'm pretty sure it's plated.

Before you put any money and effort into attempting to polish the scratch out, you ought to try contacting Ernie Ball about buying a new plate. It might only be a few dollars.
  4. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Ditto-Polishing a plated part could make it alll worse if the plating is thin. Buy a new plate. My experience w/Ernie Ball has been great w/regards to replaciment parts.
  5. Try a little dab white toothpaste on a clean J-cloth or tissue and swirl it around in a circular motion. It usually works on lacquered surfaces, maybe it'll work on chrome but I'm not sure.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Off to Setup with this one.