strong E, weak A,D,G

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I gotta new amp, a peavy TNT 160W with 9 band EQ.

and me E is big and booming and my other strings get lost in the mix, is it my EQ needs changing? If it is what do I have to change? I want it to be big and boomy on all strings if that helps.
  2. * fix the pickup-height on your bass

* Play with the equaliser on your bass

* play witht the equaliser on your amp

3. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    my bass is fine coz it worx in other amps so wot is a good EQ thing on the amp to try?
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

I think the problem could be the setup of your bass rather than the amp, check out the pickup´s height also.
  5. I notice that on my Peavey TNT 150 watt also. I just either turn the bass down a little, or pluck (its usually with a pick that this happens) more towards the bridge. A lot of times when people pick (me included) they pick close to the bridge with their other strings and pick towards the pickups on the E, it makes the E a lot more "boomy" as you describe it. It is more pronounced and therefore more audible on a bigger amp. I didn't notice it on my practice amp, but I did on the Peavey.
  6. one thing you could do is to play around with the string gagues. try using a thicker gague on the a-d-g strings, but leaving the E string the same gague it is. or leave the a-d-g- strings the same and use a thinner gague E string. just make sure that if you switch string gagues you have the bass set up properly by someone who knows what they are doing. I found out the hard way that switching string gagues changes neck tension and causes the neck to bow if it is not set up for the change
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I've noticed this myself on some amps - normally, my D and G are weak, and the E and A are fine. What I usually found was that boosting everything on the EQ helps thicken the sound of the lighter strings, without affecting the heavier ones too much.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    To boost my adg, typically I make my EQ into a frown:

/ \

Good luck.