Strongest,Most durable Bass in your opinion..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 17, 2005.

1. :bassist:
    Alright everyone, I am on a search to add another bass to the family, but.... I have no idea what I should be looking for, what brands are worth my time, wiether it should be active or not, what kind of woods are better then others... God I have no idea where to start.. :scowl:
    I'm begging for everyones help :crying: :bawl: :help:
    You see I've been noodling for quite sometime now on my Hamer 5-string, But I've decided that I also want a four string..

I know that some of you guys have upwards of 5 or more basses sitting at home.. and who better to ask then you guys... I feel like I'm cheating somehow, in the sense that you guys have had to go through trial and error,from store to store... Obviously I have to find the one that is right for me, but basically I am just asking for a helpful hand in the right direction.

I want a bass with a warm, thick tone, Nice wood and a studry,solid construction. I'd like to know what you guys believe is the strongest basses you've ever seen...
    It's not as if I plan to smack it into walls every evening but I want something which will "Live forever Bwahh,ha,ha,ha!!~!"

At first I thought I wanted to just make my current bass better but I want to have more versatility...
    Please guys,.. lend me a hand
    Thanks for helping out a noob in distress :ninja: :help:
  2. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Stingray 5 or Sterling!

3. Stingray gets my vote as well. However, it sounds like it might not be the tone for you. Search for this topic, it was covered recently.
  4. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    THe most durable bass of all is the Steinberger. Nothing has ever been constructed that even comes close to their toughness. The problem is that the cost for a real XL is prohibitive to say the least.

The Stinrays are also great. I have several and they are strong, solid and reliable. They are probably the next best thing.
  5. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stingray, le original, pre-Ernie!!!
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  7. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i cant believe stingray gets the vote. i had 2 stingrays. the first time the battery died in the preamp i charged it and the preamp went out. i repaired it and ive never seen a bass wired so cheaply. the 2nd stingray, when the battery died, i went to replace it and was very careful, replaced it and the cheap a** plastic battery cover snapped. i play pretty agressive on stage and the stingrays werent around long. i was fixxing them or working on them most of the time i had them. i heard the pre-ernie balls are awesome. IMO i think Ernie Ball stingrays are over priced cheapo guitars. if you want a bass built like a tank.....Modulus!!! ive got 3 of them and theyre very solid,well made basses. my new spector ns4 usa seems to be very solid. tough=you get what you pay for.
  8. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I agree with the above comments, Steinies are indestructible chunks of stuff and Stingrays are solid stuff.

"I want a bass with a warm, thick tone, Nice wood and a studry,solid construction."

Fender Precision Bass? Geddy Jazz Bass?
  9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    G&L L2K or ASAT. They're built like friggin' tanks, man. The most vulnerable part on them would probably be the 9volt battery, and that's not even an issue. Dead battery? Flip the switch to passive mode and proceed to rock it.
  10. Ozark resonator bass. Happily let me 10 month old son spend hours crawling all over it, smacking it, eating it etc. Survived me stacking on my bike with only minor detuning and no other damage. Would happily play cricket with it.

I win.
  11. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Lemme see, now. I guess Fenders have been around longer than just about anything else. Yeah, I'll vote Fender.
  12. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i vote p-bass. very simple. not a whole lot that can go wrong.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender Roscoe Beck V. Passive bass, so not much to go wrong electronically. Big thick 5-string neck with graphite reinforcement. Amazingly sturdy neck joint. Perfect weapon to use in a barroom brawl.
  14. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)

Sorry to hear that, man :( I love both Stingray 5ers and Sterlings (EB's inventions) and my 5 has survived 3 years of non-stop live action without a problem. Don't like Stingray 4s because of their thick necks and yet have to find a nice playing one (either pre or post EB), comparable to a SR5 or Sterling. So finally there's actually people that came back from Musicmans!!!! :eek:

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    MIA P's and J's
  16. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    The mid-80s G&L El Toros are the strongest, sturdiest conventional electric basses I've ever had the pleasure of playing. You could probably shovel coal with one and it would still play just fine.
  17. i do recall chi cheng from the deftones singing praises over fender's durability, he say a guy take his fender throw it across the stage, and pick up the bass and he barely had to retune it for the next song.
    i'd say in my own experiances, fenders are pretty tough too.
  18. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Newer Rics are pretty solid.....
  19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Of my four basses, the Lakland Skyline 5501 seems to be the toughest (also the heaviest, I think these two characteristics tend to go together).

The neck is very stable, neck pocket has no gaps, neck requires only small seasonal adjustments, solid controls, bridge, and it has very good sustain with great B-string response. Sustain just seems to me to be a good indicator of structural / mechanical integrity.
  20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Well, if that's the criteria, here's a contender:

I'm about to start a rebuild on the electronics today, but this Travis Bean has weathered an awful lot of abuse at my hands since '77 when I bought it new. They're getting to be too old and rare to realistically consider just for their strength or durability though, I think. Great sounding bass however, IMO. It has taken a few swipes at slam dancers back in the day too. :bassist: