1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stroy basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metro_trash, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I just won ( well...bought ) a Stroy bass prototype

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7362502250&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it, she seems like a nice piece of work and I've heard nothing but good things about the Areo pickups. I guess it's a little late now but anyone with any imput on these basses or the Luthier would be greatly appreciated. I picked this over a Warwick Thumb NT. Good choice? I think so.

:bassist:

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    He's a memeber of TB,check the members list and I'm sure if you contacted him he would be more than helpful.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That looks like that buyer got himself a really good deal. Not my cup of tea but no doubt that's a killer bass for $950. I guess the collector's market hasn't really kicked in with boutique builders.

4. I got back from a med-evac and there it was leaning against the office door. I bought a Stroy singlecut prototype off of ebay ( see above). It has some wear to it much to my dismay.So far here's what I think.
    The singlecut body is surprisingly lighteight and the bass is very resonant acoustically. The bass itself is pretty rough, which, I guess what a prototype is so I guess I can't be soo critical. The neck feels great, a very shallow c-shape. Very easy to play with no warping or twisting. It has Areo single coil pickups which are very clean with a glassy sheen to it, not really sizzly though. No preamp, just two 250K volume pots and a 250K tone with a 350 resistor. The pots have a very abrupt taper and will have to go. It's a good sounding bass but with new guts it could be great. I'll have to play with it a bit presently as the low end is kida boomy for my taste, very open and non-compressed. It's not what I expected but it's a fine bass. I may fix it up and sell in and get the Sadowsky I've been GASsing for.
    I'd love to see one of Brandin's completed basses. Maybe someday I'll get another.