Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stroy basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metro_trash, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I just won ( well...bought ) a Stroy bass prototype

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7362502250&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it, she seems like a nice piece of work and I've heard nothing but good things about the Areo pickups. I guess it's a little late now but anyone with any imput on these basses or the Luthier would be greatly appreciated. I picked this over a Warwick Thumb NT. Good choice? I think so.

:bassist:

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    He's a memeber of TB,check the members list and I'm sure if you contacted him he would be more than helpful.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That looks like that buyer got himself a really good deal. Not my cup of tea but no doubt that's a killer bass for $950. I guess the collector's market hasn't really kicked in with boutique builders.

4. I got back from a med-evac and there it was leaning against the office door. I bought a Stroy singlecut prototype off of ebay ( see above). It has some wear to it much to my dismay.So far here's what I think.
    The singlecut body is surprisingly lighteight and the bass is very resonant acoustically. The bass itself is pretty rough, which, I guess what a prototype is so I guess I can't be soo critical. The neck feels great, a very shallow c-shape. Very easy to play with no warping or twisting. It has Areo single coil pickups which are very clean with a glassy sheen to it, not really sizzly though. No preamp, just two 250K volume pots and a 250K tone with a 350 resistor. The pots have a very abrupt taper and will have to go. It's a good sounding bass but with new guts it could be great. I'll have to play with it a bit presently as the low end is kida boomy for my taste, very open and non-compressed. It's not what I expected but it's a fine bass. I may fix it up and sell in and get the Sadowsky I've been GASsing for.
    I'd love to see one of Brandin's completed basses. Maybe someday I'll get another.