1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Struggles being a girl bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jemaira, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemaira

Jemaira

Jan 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Let’s face it if your a girl bassist it’s automatically perceived that your faking it! This is sexist and just a blow to your ego. So what’s your story!

myopia, shadven, Krakmann and 25 others like this.
  2. Jemaira

Jemaira

Jan 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I generally think of myself as pretty good for being self taught. But I started marching band this year and realized people judged me on if I had boobs and not if I could play my bass. I can’t even count how many times people asked me if I was hiding a flute in my guitar case of asked me if I was faking it

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have always dreamed(and still do) of a world where people are judged fairly.

Almost everyone has to fight some prejudice/stereotype:

Here's a few:
    Too short
    Too tall
    Too white
    Too black
    Too fat
    Too skinny
    Too Female
    Big Boobs
    Small boobs
    Too bald
    Too Hairy
    Too religious

Etc., Etc., Etc.

I wish you a fair shake in your musical journey. Lord knows I have had to fight for every minute I have gotten to play on stage.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. Hover-Rich

Hover-Rich Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    Craig, Colorado
    Hover Harness, LLC
    Welcome to TalkBass, Jemaira.
    I'm sorry that people's attitudes are like that. All you can do is be the best bassist and musician you can be and let that do the talking. You could explain that being female shouldn't matter, but if they already have their minds made up then that's the way they will see things. I have felt for a long time that people who will judge you for something as musically unimportant as your gender are not worth being around. It may limit the number of musicians / bands you can play with, but you are probably better off without them.
    Again, welcome.

jazzykitty, monkeyxx, Xansky and 24 others like this.
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    as an african't american't, i approve of this ran't

Thorny1, Krakmann, JPDsma and 40 others like this.
  6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Sounds like a personal problem.:D

7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Among my peers those attitudes were shattered by these two women in 1978

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

get a teacher, learn more, play more, add some perspective to your own life by knowing something. stay focused. boobs are cool but they have nothing to do with being a musician. good luck! :thumbsup:

9. Colin Cunliffe

Colin Cunliffe

Aug 26, 2019
    West Wales
    Marching Band, now that is something to ridicule you for!!!!
    Whats your instrument(S)?

As others have said, firstly welcome you will love it on here and secondly if you talk the talk make sure you can walk the walk. In simple terms IGNORE them, again as others have said there are people who just like to take down everyone else, usually because they are jealous of you having enough drive to get up and do whatever, and secondly because you have a talent.

Learn some quick responses (suitable for mixed company and your age) eg no its a machine gun.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I take it you are in high school. You could have taught Einstein and dudes would be obsessed with your body. Some dude will always be sexist, and not only should put him in his place, but mention it to your teachers and hopefully some mature band mates. Respectful band mates are key to creating a positive atmosphere.

Finally, get good! Get a teacher, get busy practicing. If you are good, jerks cracking on your body will look stupid.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  11. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    I'm happy that the people I played with and with whom I learned weren't that stupid.

When you play with educated people, you don't have to deal with the ********.

12. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Welcome! You are safe here as long as you show respect and want to learn, share, etc.

We are definitely "All About That Bass".

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Tell em’ to listen to Tal Wilkenfeld, talent and hard work can overcome all, gender has nothing to do with it. She’s physically tiny, but plays like a Monster. Ignore anyone who smothers you with expectations beneath you, it’s all in your hands and heart!

Xhaxo, lweastdad, Squirey and 13 others like this.
  14. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    ... What?

What about Tina Weymouth, Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Melissa Auf Der Maur, CAROL KAYE, Esperanza Spalding, Darcy Wretsky, Sean Yseult...? I could go on. No one has ever accused any of them of faking it. Female bassists are actually pretty common, and I've never heard them take any heat based on gender. Hell, I would go as far as saying at this point, if you're not being taken seriously as a bassist, I doubt it has anything to do with your anatomy.

15. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    People that judge aren’t smart. So why would you care about their opinion? Rock on and play hard!

Evil Funk, TH63, Xhaxo and 14 others like this.
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jemaira: it sounds to me like you are hanging around mentally under-developed neanderthals that have immature minds. Ignore them. They aren't important enough to listen to. Perhaps someday they will grow up, but they clearly have a long way to go before they reach that point (and some humans *never* do!)

When it comes to playing music, gender is absolutely irrelevant. Age is also irrelevant.

The Yes tribute band that I put together 20 years ago had a female singer. She was better than any of the other singers we auditioned (and we auditioned *alot* of singers for that project).

If you are playing notes on your bass, you are not faking it. That's as real as it gets!

Ignore the trolls and naysayers of the world, and rock that bass!

Btw, welcome to Talkbass! :thumbsup:

17. Well Mohina Dey is probably one of the best bassist alive and she's a early 20's girl from India. One of the best I've heard!

gebass6, rickdog, HolmeBass and 3 others like this.
  18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Tal Shredding. I think I'm in love....

19. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    Welcome to TalkBass!
    Ignore stupid people. Your life will have less stress.

20. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Part 1 (of something like 10!)

Aside from people whose attitudes and boorish behavior offer compelling evidence that the dodo may not be extinct after all, there is the problem of census: until female musicians (not just bassists) develop a degree of commonality in the public sphere they will to some degree be viewed as "other" (not "another," as in "like me"). Players in your situation are just going to have to tough it out and hold the line until more enlightened perceptions dominate and females (or any other demographic) attain a level of visibility that lets them be viewed as part of the norm.

I always enjoy working with players of other genders or races just as a litmus test to see how well *I* fit in. It's nothing to do with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.