Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

struggling to find the right amp: so many choices!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJ Love, Mar 25, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I am on a search for the right amp. I have an Ashdown Eletric Blue 12 which is a great little combo amp but I need/want to buy an Amp head. My plan is to get a few Bergantino cabinets but I am unsure as to what Amp to get

I do like the Ashdown sound so I am leaning towards an ABM350 or 500, but there are so many choices out there: Aguilar, Epifani, EBS many many great amps

as evidenced by my purchase of a Sadowsky I am not opposed to saving up extra $$ in order to buy an expensive piece of equipment. Portability would be nice but not if it sacrifices sound

I need something very versatile as I am playing rock but also funk but also blues etc...and with many recording sessions coming up its got to have a great tone

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Try Eden, I'm gassing for a WT-800 right now, I've been hooked ever since I've played Eden, weather it's cabs or heads. I also have gas to try some Bergantino cabs. You live in Madison, I live in Fort Atkinson which is like 35 miles away from you. Have you ever though into maybe a pre/ power amp set up? That could be something you might be interested in, get tons of head room and a light little pre amp that will all fit nicely into a rack and save some weight as well as if one peice goes you don't have to replace everything else. haha sorry for that long post that I just read and seemed to have not offered any help haha.
    peace
    -Ben

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The great thing is that there are SO MANY choices of good gear out there, the standards have really been raised over the past 5 to 10 years. There are almost no "bad" choices left, just "better" choices amongst good gear. We should have such problems, eh?

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Eric---very true but I am trying to find the "right" amp for me without having to go through the merry-go-round of buying and selling many amps before I fnd the right one....in order to find my Sadowsky I went through at least a half dozen basses (porbably more) in recent months!

are the lighter weight amps like the new Aguilar GS500 as good of quality as the bigger tube amps?

forgive my ignorance when it comes to pre-amps, but since my Sadowsky already has a pre-amp can I just skip getting a pre-amp and get a power amp and cabinets? if so which power amp?

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    meant to write the new Aguilar AG500 amp...looks intriguing to me

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't know this from experience, but I've been collection information regarding this topic, as I'm hoping to upgrade soon.

Anyway, My Lakland has an active preamp on board, but have been lead to believe that'd I'd need to get a DI to plug into a power amp... A SansSamp BDDI is a relatively cost effective way of doing this, as they generally go for around $170-$180 new.

7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    an Ashdown Electric Blue 12. not powerful enough for the rock band though

can you explain that please? why wouldn't you just recommend an Ashdown?

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Pheasably if the signal from your bass is hot enough you could run from your bass straight to a power amp, but you most likely would never be able to push the power amp to full power straight from your bass. A pre amp is basically the tone shaping section of a head. People often buy a pre amp and power amp because they are more versitile and you can mix and match, also if one component goes it's much easyier and cost efficient to replace what broke. As for power amps, there are many out there, some of the most used around here would be the QSC PLX (ligher in weight) and RMX (a bit heavyier then the PLX) seriese, Stewart, Crown, Carvin and Peavey. I hope I helped, as for pre-amps, you can go to www.basstasters.com and hear clips on them set flat, and with eq'ing with multipul bass', I also believe that most of the pre's have the option of listening to the sample played through a Sadowsky. Hope I helped,
    peace
    -Ben