1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Struggling with a purchase decision.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Hey all. Hopefully this story won't be too long, I'll keep it as brief as possible.

I switched over to short scale basses some time ago (a year or two) because I'm small, and thought it would be more comfortable, which it is. But never been really happy with the sounds I get from them.

I'm itching for another long scale and am torn between the much revered squier vm jazz and the ibanez SR300. Seem to have quite similar necks but totally different beasts otherwise. The ibanez is a great light weight but doesn't have the massive tone of the jazz. And I find it horribly uncomfortable to play sitting down - I only play at home so am mostly seated anyway.

The jazz, although it sounds divine, and has an amazing feeling neck, is much heavier. Tried one out tonight and made my shoulder a bit sore after 10 mins. Thin nylon strap though, mine is wide and leather. I don't even play standing up much, but if that changes I may have trouble!

The one I tried also had a pretty high action due to a lot of relief, hopefully I could set it up to my liking assuming the truss rod hasn't been messed up. I'm scared of buying used basses.

Anyway. I'm really leaning towards the jazz as it sounded so good and I've itched for a jazz for a long time, but the weight and action are putting me off.

Help me talkbass, you're my only hope.

EDIT: the jazz is the seemingly very popular VM with satin neck and maple body

2. I like the sound of a long scale too.... jazz basses are fun!
    Not much help otherwise.

Aqualung60 and Evil Undead like this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Hunt for a lighter jazz, they do exist. Alternatively, find a cheap used VM Jazz and route out under the pickguard to shave some weight.

4. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Have you tried a Squier VM Jaguar bass SS?

Short-scale and Evil Undead like this.
  5. nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Also, if you're right-handed, the VM Jazz 77' is made of agathis, a much lighter wood.

96tbird and Evil Undead like this.
  6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    They do, but they don't sound quite as amazing as this maple bodied one. I have a suspicion that the tone is in the weight...

Jughead6 likes this.
  7. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes, especially the comment in quote

Evil Undead likes this.
  8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I have the VM jaguar SS right beside me as I type :) it's so comfortable, can't fault it at all in that respect. But the sound is really lacking for me. I also have a Warwick rockbass shortscale which sounds much better, but it's no passive jazz. Just not quite what I want in a tone.

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Yeah. I think I may get flamed for that. But seriously, ever since I first heard that maple bodied jazz a couple of years ago, I've lusted after that sound, and just can't achieve it.

It's not just the weight of the one I tried, the action was high and the strings were like telephone cables. After playing shorties with super light strings, I feel like I've been arm wrestling with the hulk. I am sure that would ease after playing it in (and with a damn good set up) but there was so much relief that it scared me

10. nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Change the pickups then. What's your budget? If you want to get decent sound on the cheap, guitarfetish is your place. Anything else above that, like some Duncan 1/4 pounders, etc...

Evil Undead likes this.
  11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The VM Jazz's are pretty heavy - mine is made of maple so it's super heavy but sounds pretty darn good.

A pickup change is recommended in my opinion.

Evil Undead likes this.
  12. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    yea! i had that thought too... so a +1 here.

Evil Undead likes this.
  13. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Got dimarzio's in there. Still "meh". The E string always sounds dead no matter how many new ones I put on or how I wind it. It's just... meh.

14. nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Maybe it's the strings then. What kind of sound are you looking for?

15. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
  16. nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    I think the VM '77 is going to be your best best.

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Try more jazz basses. You'll find a lighter one you like.

18. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    This. They are out there. Took me a while to find one that was light but I did find one.

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Not being very helpful here, but you say you want a heavy bass, without it being heavy?

I really like my VM Jazz (FL), but yes it is heavy, and it is basswood. I don't know about the tone being in the weight, and I am not going to go there, but if you are willing to sacrifice a little of that "tone" you are saying resides in the wood, there are lighter VM's if you look around for a while.

If not, why not try one of these (referring to the strap not the bass ;)

gruv-gear-duostrap.

20. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I use Daddario nickels, super light gauge. I just want a good sound - not too thin but a bit of zing, punchy and thumpy but still clear. Warm and burpy :)