1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strumming and Other technique

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by tippin4342, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hi Mr. Seaton,

I have a question about some solo techniques that would help me for playing free music and at the end of standards. For strumming, charlie haden is probably my favorite bass player. I love his playing on the Hamburg 72 Keith Jarrett Album. How should I go about practicing this? When ever i do try strumming, its very quiet, inarticulate, and I can't get it as rhythmically even.

My next question is about a technique Ive seen Reggie Workman, and Scott Colley do live and I've seen Christian McBride do it on YT:

It Looks like he's alternating all of his fingers in a circular motion. What is this called? Who did it come from and who were the first players to start using it? How should I work on this?

I just discovered this 'Ask a Pro' thread so I have so many other questions to ask. Maybe I should have started with stuff about bass lines and time (the stuff that actually gets me gigs or not lol), but I can't find anything at all about this stuff on the web. I'd really appreciate your help

Tom Lane likes this.
  2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Hello tippin4342,
    The technique is called rasqueado and comes from flamenco guitar. Here are a couple of video links to explain it.
    1 Master Pepe Romero demonstrating the rolling rasqueado to a student:
    2 This one is a link to a web page page with a video on it with another variation which involves the thumb (held like Haden, but not back and forth), but also has the fingers. Learn to master the Flamenco Rasgueado Technique | Guitar Pro Blog – Arobas Music
    3 Here is a nice video of flamenco legend Sabicas back in the 60's. He uses many techniques that are applicable to extended bass technique.

tippin4342 likes this.