Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strumming... but not like Mark Hoppus

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, for the most part I'm a fingerstyle kinda guy, with some slap on the side. But my strumming (flamenco style) sucks. I got no skillz, yo. What is the best way to do this to get a nice clean sound. Crazy Les Claypool style, or form a pick shape with your fingernails (I've seen Ryknow Ru-D... whatever... I've seen him do it.).

2. Use a piece of money far back on the bridge. And only use upstrokes. KIddin' hehehe(for the love of god dont try that:eek: )

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    An example... Southbound Pachederm, I cannot play that strummed part fast. And I know Claypool's technique for strumming and that he can get a fast clean sound is amazing?! How could I be way cool like claypool (heh hee heee, that rhymed).

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I presume you have seen the simpsons episode how lisa asks bart "what is the sound of one hand clapping"? Bart the wise*** claps with one hands.

Thats how i do it!

Or you pretend you are playing with a plectrum, but...you..just..dont have one! :D

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    does mark hoppus strum?

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah on a few songs he plays power chords :p :D

7. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    (edited) er.. I didn't know he strummed. Then how does he strum so fast?

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I meant that in the sense of he mutes all his strings except the string he's playing (E or A usually), and just strums all 4-strings in a way cool looking fashion. Though if done properly this can be cool, that's how you play sabotage, by the Beastie Boys. There is another thread around that's asking about Mark Hoppus' strum technique.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The first technique is the one I use now, but seems to have less speed. The Second technique gives me really unclean sounding results. Can you/anyone explain this in greater detail?

10. The drummer in one of my bands in high school had a Niacin LIVE! VCD, and Billy strums the intro to one of the songs. Although, for the life of me, I don't remember the title of the song. It just looks like he's strumming with a pick, only he doesn't have one. I don't really know of a better way to describe it.

11. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    Ok, I think I know what you're talking about, because I'm messed up.

Picks are a menace to me, I can't use them if my life depended on it, and I use a two-finger picking pattern (still aiming for maybe a 3 or 4 with practice..), but when I play things like the solo in Paris In Flames by Thursday, I squeeze lightly my thumb and first 2 fingers and use my thumbnail as if it were a pick..

Anyway that whole comment was worthless.