Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by z4knerd, Jul 7, 2004.

1. z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    i have been strumming for exampe 2 strings at once, but with a pick, but i would like to use my fingers.. i heard of something called like flamenko strumming or something but now sure how to execute it, so if anyone could give me tips plz do i hate using a pick :O
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I like to strum chords (three or more notes) and double stops (two notes) with the backs of my finger tips.
    Take all four of your fingers on your strumming hand and touch your thumb with them - now quickly "flick" your hand open. That is the strumming motion. When strumming like that on the bass, I've found that "floating your thumb" is key - that is placing your thumb on the string just below the lowest string you are playing for muting purposes. if your strumming a double stop on the D and G strings, your thumb will be resting on the A string. I hope that helps.
  3. wut i like to do when i strum is just use my thumb. i touch my index,middle and ring finger to the middle of my thumb. then i just stick my thumb out a little past where my fingers r placed on it and strum away. i used to use the tech. that he mentioned but, i think its more preference.
  4. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Wyclef Jean did that on Chapelles Show. :p

Also using your 2 fingers. Or thumb. Or both. My friend uses both when he plays fingerstyle on guitar. Awesome.
  5. jbass

Mar 22, 2004
    I'm not quite sure strumming would sound any better. I would suggest though to pluck the strings simultaneously. It gives a better body to your tone since that would give a more equal pressure on the strings.

I sometimes find strumming to only give greater emphasis on the string that gets hit first. Maybe I just also have a poor way of strumming. I use my index finger to strum.

Jake D.
  6. Sometimes i strum by holding my thumb and index like I'm holding a pick,stick my index out past my thumb a little but use the fingernail on my index to strum the string with. Can be pretty rough on the cuticles if your not careful though.
  7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That's the exact way I do it. I play guitar(don't tell on me :bag: ) so it seems normal to me. I use to use a pick on a few songs but I gave it up because I never seem to have one when I needed it.
  8. plsh

Jun 27, 2004
    I normally just use the flesh of my thumb and somtimes the flesh of my miiddle forupstrokes on the high strings.
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I do the Geddy. I do the awkward index finger strump thing, except with my two middle fingers (3rd and fourth)
  10. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I sometimes combine a strum with a thump. You can hit the bass note with your thumb and at the same time strum some notes with your fingernails by flicking your fingers out. Works quite nicely as you still get some body to the note. It is the best way I have found to get a really big "BASH" sound out of my bass. Takes a while to get the timing right so that the thump and the strum happen at the same time.
  11. loobahood8b

Jul 13, 2004
    :eek: i personally like the technique first mentioned in this thread, the second where u just use the thumb friggin hurts, but fer the first technique i suggest u look into les claypool and watch a couple'a his vids or see him live if ya can the man's a monster when it comes to the strummin stuff cuz u want it to be as natural and easy to control as it can be when u do it and he totally embodies that control over the 4-finger technique
  12. Z4knerd, the "flamenco strumming" you've heard about is a technique called rasgueado. You flick out with a bunch of fingers in quick succession, resulting in a bunch of strums one after another. There are many different finger patterns to follow, and some include upstrokes with the thumb. There's also the continuous rasgueado, in which you strum pinky, ring, middle, index, over and over and over.