Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassplaya#21, May 30, 2001.

1. Bassplaya#21

Sep 16, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    is it humanly possible to strum a bass with out getting a horrid monkey in a garbage disposile noise???

then again i do play a Rouge so it makes that noise all the time
  2. there's a barchord on the guitar that translates into bass...

D - 5
    A - 5
    E - 3

This can be used in all positions, and flea picks out the individual notes during the solo on Californication.

G - 7
    D - 5

works well. This, too, can be used in all playing positions..

Thats about all I know about strumming...
  3. Sure, lots of people do it. You don't usualy want to strum say at the second fret you will probally get a better sound higher up the neck. You also probally don't want to have a full chord i.e. Root, third, fifth, seventh. This is posible and sounds good in some situations but you can play just part of the chord and still define it. One of my favorites is a tenth chord. That would give you the root and the third but the third would be an octave up. i.e. G on the E string and B on the G string.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Stanley Clarke, Mark King and Vic Wooten strum fairly often, though the sounds they get do sound a little bit like a garbage disposal.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Its a big part of what Claypool does too, sort of flamenco style strumming. You should mess with the tone until you find a sound you like. Try using your fingernails in a backhand raking motion.
  6. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I would die if someone said that I wasn't allowed to strum anymore...I love strumming...chords, whatever, just don't try to strum too low of notes....btw...
    that isn't a bar's a powerchord (g5 with an octave) on guitar.