'Strunal 3/4 upright 50/4 question! I need immediate help!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 10, 2005.

1. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001

I'm an electric bassist but have a friend who's selling a 'Strunal 3/4 upright Czech bass, 50/4' for $950. It's 3 months old, he bought it new, and it includes a soft case. I played it and it's in great condition, and sounds good to my ear, but I'm not too well trained with upright tones and companies, etc.

Does anyone have any good advice or can help me out at all? I want to buy it, but he needs to sell it in a week or so, so I need to make the decision very soon. Are these basses good? Quality? Is this a good buy? etc.

Please help,
    Thank you,
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    It's a basic plywood bass.
  3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A quick Google search reveals that a new Strunal 50/4 can be bought online from various sources for about $1100. So $950 for a used one is not a really a great savings.

Although there are people on this forum who own Strunal basses and like them, I have played a few and haven't been very impressed.

My advice is to pass on this deal, and check out as many double basses as you can before making a choice. Also if you can afford a little more money, you can find a much nicer bass. Upton and Shen laminate basses sell for in the mid to upper teens and are excellent. I think if you're patient and really look around for a while, you'll find the right bass for you.

Best of luck!
  4. Find out what if any set up work was done. A new Strunal unless you buy from a luthier's shop will require a set up. If he had the fingerboard dressed, the soundpost fitted and adjusted, the strings changed. If all this was done $950 will be a pretty good deal IMHO.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As mike said, $950 i sa good price for a fully set-up and adjusted bass. the $1100 new price does not reflect shipping or set-up, or a bag in most cases. If you like the bass, then I'd say it's a good deal. Strunals are not really special, but they are quality and reliable.
  6. appler

appler Guest

I've got that same model Strunal. Mine came from David Gage's, and came with a fingerboard dressing, new strings, new endpin, adjustable bridge, and a nice padded bag. So if you factor in a couple hundred bucks for a setup and other accessories, that should get you a more accurate price. The bass responds well to pizz and arco and it's a solid instrument, but it isn't the best plywood out there. I like my bass a lot and I love the sound, but a run-of-the-mill Strunal might not be quite as nice. David Gage's staff adds some kinda magic to their instruments, I think. (edit: and from what I was told, they picked it out specifically from the factory. Even so, it is an entry-level bass. It ain't that special.)

Play the bass and think about what you need to or are able to change in terms of setup and accessories, and if you think it'll get that sound you hear in your head, go for it. You might want to find a teacher or a pro and let them play the bass so you can hear what it sounds like from other angles.
  7. Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    I don't mind strunals actually, I don't like laminated really, mines actually a hybrid... I liked the sound better than complt. laminate, but the basses aren't that bad when set up correctly.
    well, figuring it's new and in good condition, and assuming it's been remotely set up, and has a bag, it may be worth it, it may not be that huge of a breaking deal, but no shipping or anything.
    It's all up to you in the end, if the bass has potential or you know you can get it set up to the sound you'd like, and you have the money, go for it. But i'd still think i over... i mean, are you going to use this for performance? or just to have around, or you've always wanted to try upright, or just for another thing 'under your belt? I"d look at "why" you want the bass, what it's probably going to be used for [atleast to your knowledge at anyrate] and try to get an understanding about how this bass will fulfil your goals or what have you.

By chance, did the guy mention why he was getting rid of it?
  8. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Boston being the collage town it is, is full of decent entry/mid level basses. I’d look through the craigslist and local musicians papers/forums and see what instruments are being sold by serious students. You might find a real diamond.
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Chasarms loves his -- I'm sure he'll pop in soon. I was actually going to buy a Strunal myself, but happened on a 1950's 7/8 Hofner in nice condition that a friend of mine was selling for $2K (Canadian) that came with a french bow, Underwood pickup, and a decent bag, whereas the new Strunal would've been about $1700. Never got a chance to play one myself, though.

EDIT: Shoot, I think Chasarms uses a Shen, actually.
  10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Chasarms bought my Strunal on behalf of his church...last I talked to him, he plays it occasionally there.
  11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I actually played it this past weekend for a while, the Strunal that is.

It has served the church well. It needs a little bridge work and a new set of strings, but overall it is a joy to play.

It is an excellent pizz bass and a modest arco bass. Under the stick, my Shen smokes it, but if I am meeting the boys at church for a little bluegrassin' or something of the like, I don't bother to load the Shen.

It's a loud one for sure. Way louder than my bass.
  12. pat1151

Jun 22, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    I have the 50/4. Overall it's a good bass for a beginner (which I am), but I have a few minor things I don't like but which can be easily fixed. First of all, depending on your height, the endpin may not have a suitable adjustment for you, i had to have another notch put in in between because the ones it comes with are too far apart. My second complaint is the strings, but that's the same with any bass, for jazz, they are fairly decent but they don't sound nice at all played arco. With the proper set up and strings, this bass could be worth your money, they also sell at a fairly good price.

My overall suggestion is that if you can afford to pay a little bit more, go for something else, otherwise this is a good bass for the money.
  13. In terms of strings Strunal and other factory basses use strings that serve to hold the bass together. In other words they aren't strings you should consider keeping. As far as the endpin goes any bass could have an endpin that's too short or doesn't have notches in the right place.

I'd say be more concerned with the sound and how much set-up work has been done, once again for $950.00 if the bass is set-up and has good strings it's a deal. I do agree Infinity should look around a bit more.