1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strunal 50/4 or Englehardt EM-1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rashaan bass, Sep 27, 2002.

1. rashaan bass

rashaan bass

Aug 22, 2002
    I am an intermediate bass student looking to purchase an inexpensive, decent bass. I currently play a Kay M-1 and would like a bass similar to the Kay with a warm tone that is good for both jazz and classical playing. Has anyone played both the Strunal 50/4 and Englehardt EM-1 and have an opinion which one sounds more like a Kay or better than the other? Also I would like to know if I should just purchase the Strunal Hybrid rather than either. Is there much difference between the plywoods and the hybrid or would a plywood be suffice for someone who has become accustomed to the sound of a Kay.

2. Henry

Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Flerda
    Proprietor of Superior Bassworks
    The Kay M-1 and the Engle EM-1 are pretty much the same bass.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think a wood top would make a huge difference when brandishing the Stick'O Pain, if that's an issue.

4. I've had a Strunal 5/35 (hybrid) for almost 2 years now and am very happy with it. I played the ply models too, but they just didn't do it for me. I would go with the hybrid they don't cost much more and over time will mature soundwise more than a ply. Plus the Stick-O-Pain issue like Ray said.