Strunal 50/4 or Englehardt EM-1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rashaan bass, Sep 27, 2002.

1. rashaan bass

rashaan bass

Aug 22, 2002
    I am an intermediate bass student looking to purchase an inexpensive, decent bass. I currently play a Kay M-1 and would like a bass similar to the Kay with a warm tone that is good for both jazz and classical playing. Has anyone played both the Strunal 50/4 and Englehardt EM-1 and have an opinion which one sounds more like a Kay or better than the other? Also I would like to know if I should just purchase the Strunal Hybrid rather than either. Is there much difference between the plywoods and the hybrid or would a plywood be suffice for someone who has become accustomed to the sound of a Kay.
  2. Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Proprietor of Superior Bassworks
    The Kay M-1 and the Engle EM-1 are pretty much the same bass.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think a wood top would make a huge difference when brandishing the Stick'O Pain, if that's an issue.
  4. I've had a Strunal 5/35 (hybrid) for almost 2 years now and am very happy with it. I played the ply models too, but they just didn't do it for me. I would go with the hybrid they don't cost much more and over time will mature soundwise more than a ply. Plus the Stick-O-Pain issue like Ray said.