Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STRUNAL A520?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 3, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was looking around at uprights and found I can get a STRUNAL A520 for the same price as a Swingmaster! How well are STRUNAL made. I like the idea of having a carved top with plywood back and sides better than an all plywood bass. Tell me what you guys think!! Good OR Bad

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I've got the 5/35 (same but uglier and cheaper), and no one who's heard or played it tells me it sounds bad at all. I got mine from NEMC cheap and eventually took it to a luthier for pro setup work at my teacher's urging. Mine's built just fine.

I use a bow...the c-bouts are wide and the fingerboard is relatively low, so I'm forced to keep the bow tip from drifting down too far (especially when I'm close to the bridge) and I can't bounce the bow too hard w/o bumping into something. I've entertained the idea of shimming up the fingerboard and getting a new bridge, but it's not really a big deal. Mine also has a wolftone, if that matters to you.

My bass has functioned as a great learning tool and has a decent sound, but I don't know that having a carved top has given me a big advantage over a full plywood.

The edges of the f-holes make the top look thicker than on any pedigree bass I've seen, but I don't know if I can generalize that the top is excessively thick that way. I play with heavy strings to get the sound I'm happiest with. Light strings on my bass makes it sound anemic to me.

That's all I've got. Try it and compare to other basses if you can.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    what do the rest of you guys think of this bass........

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43093

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53927

Some oft-repeated themes around these parts:

a) Double-basses are much less fungible than Peaveys. Consequently,

b) Try HARD to check out THE ONE you are buying. And if you do, you will quickly find that

c) To a large extent, you get what you pay for. A $500 EBay Bass Shaped Object drop-shipped to your door WILL require $600 worth of fingerboard planing, bridge, strings and soundpost adjustment to play right.

Good luck, and c'mon back.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sam I already tried those links but THANKS:D

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How are the necks on these basses? thin? thick?

7. Thicker than an Engelhardt, thinner than a couple of the cheap chinese basses I've played.

8. I have a Strunal 5/35, I play mostly Jazz, I do some arco (mostly scales, Simandl, and practice heads to stanards). The bass gives me a good sound all around. I have played some all plywood basses and to me the carved top on the Strunal makes a difference. The neck is a bit on the thick side, but nothing to horrible. Good Luck!
    Mike