Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strunal Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by robgrow, Jan 17, 2005.

1. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    When I played a Strunal 50/4 bass recently, I was a little surprised that it had an E-flat neck. Are all Strunal basses like this, or do you have the choice of a D or E-flat neck?

-bob

2. No choice here,just the way they make them.Check out my comments on the Christopher thread about the same issue on the Korean basses floating around under several names [Munich,Sunrise,202] They have even a worse problem: C# necks.

3. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmmmmm....that's interesting - I have a Korean Bass from Linear; it is my first bass so I have no other experience to compare it to, however I'm pretty sure it's the same as my teacher's.

The heel of the neck is at D, the middle of the neck block is Eb, where the body intersects the neck block is E, and the end of the neck block (under the fingerboard) is F. (Or at least close enough for Jazz :eek: )

What neck do I have?

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That sounds like a D neck. But, keep in mind, not all D necks are the same. :smug:

5. Like Jazzman said you prbably have a D neck,but I always tell clients who are shopping for a bass to bring a tape measure with them not only to measure string length ,but to check the measurement from the back of the neck.That cut on lower end basses sometimes is inconsistant.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    We bought a Strunal ply (from TB's own mchildree BTW) for the church. It is an Eb neck. I think they are all like that. At least everyone I have played.

Overall Strunals are pretty good basses for the $$. If you are set on a D neck, you might look at a Christopher or Shen, as they have D necks.

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The Eb neck is the one thing keeping me from snagging an Engelhardt as a backup bass. Not that the Eb neck is bad, I just find it hard to change between a D and Eb at the drop of a hat.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I would guess the same thing, but for me, when I play that Strunal, I have found that when I shift up to 3rd position (rabbath) my hand seems to stop in the right place for some reason. I don't seem have that much dependence on the heel for reference.

The nice thing about an Eb neck is it seems a little easier to get over the shoulder and into 4th (thumb). Although I think that Strunal also has steeper shoulders than my Shen.

9. I went from a Kay (D neck) to a Strunal (Eb neck). Actually, I didn't know there were two different neck lengths until I bought the second bass!

While it was great to easily find the third position on the Kay (as soon as my thumb touches the neck heel), for some reason I didn't have a problem doing this on the Strunal. And now I prefer the Eb neck because I can locate the 3.5 and 4th positions easier.

As for switching back and forth, I don't find it too much of a problem. Ten minutes of warmups usually clears the head.