Strunal Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JYD, Jan 2, 2002.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Anyone out here consider themselves to be an authority on the Strunal line Of instruments (Double Bass).
    Just wondering what the feedback is on the better models of Strunal (hybrid) with Carved tops or fully carved.

How can a Strunal be identified. Does Strunal place any particular branding inside the body or special label inside the body ?

Can anyone Compare these to say a Kay Plywood from the 50's or average plywood of any vintage?

What about a comparison to comparable carved wood 3/4 basses ?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I can't help with the hybrid Strunals, but I have a Strunal 50/4...the "better" plywood with ebony board and fittings and I've been very happy with what I got for the money I spent (about $1600 after upgrade parts and pro setup). I've played several older Kays and Englehardts that I didn't like as much.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to DB, but I have enough EB experience to know good tone, resonance and volume when I hear it. I did quite a bit of looking around when I bought my Strunal and the general opinion seemed to be good. A couple of others here, or their students, have them...maybe they can elaborate.
  3. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I've got the hybrid. I'm generally pleased. I've heard old Kays I liked better and some I've liked less. It doesn't hold a candle to my teacher's orchestra bass but I wouldn't have expected it to. For the ~$1600 I spent on it it's a great deal.
  4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Coincidently I've got a strunal in my shop right now tha I'm putting a bridge on. I don't have much experience with this brand but I'd be happy to tell you about this one. The owner bought it from Sam As* for $900. It's built like a tank-this is a bass a fat man could stand on-very thick plywood. Heavy. Great tuners for a bass of this price. It has an e flat neck-uncomfortable. The neck is quite straight, but the elevation is low. The sound is poor compared to an average Kay. A hollow, tubby tone. If I had $900 and subsequent set-up money I would look for a Kay-they are not unheard of in that range.