Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strunal finish?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Michael Case, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Hello,
    So does anybody know what type of finish is used on the Strunal?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. All the plywood basses they make come only in a polyurethane "sprayed" lacquer either in high-gloss or semi-matte. This is a cost effective method to finishing the instrument, but not the most ideal for resonating characteristics. I guess they figure it's not worth spending too much time on their line of plywoods.
    all their hybrids and carved basses come in options for either the polyurethane finish in either high-gloss or semi-matte, OR in a Spirit Varnish which from what I read is better quality than the cheap "sprayed" laquer variety. The Spirit varnish finished models tend to be priced higher.
    They also off a new hand applied "washed" finish that apparently enhaces the grain of the wood. this option is available for the polyurethane finish as well as the Spirit Varnish.
    This is all info I found on the site. feel free to browse their available models for more info: www.strunal.cz
    hope this helps.
    Mike D

3. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    It's a thermonuclear polymer developed by NASA scientists to protect reentering vehicles from burning up.....at least that's what it reminds me of. :) Seriously though, it's a real heavy varnish that, while protecting the bass, I believe really stifles the bass from resonating as much as it probably could. I've been exploring options on refinishing. I think my A. Schroetter hybrid (which after some research is suspiciously like a Strunal 5/35) would open up alot if i did that.