1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strunal to order - which one ?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by zcorsez, May 10, 2006.

1. Hello

I am going to buy new double bass from Strunal store - prices the best at the source - great deals.

Problem is - I've beeen saving for months to get new instrument and don't want to regreat something afterwards.

So - most models avaible right now are with polyurethane finish. I think spirit varnish would be better but I would have to wait about 2moths...

Second thing is - which should I choose - flat or swelled back - what's the difference in sound? Or maybe there are other considerations about that?

Does anybody had similar problems or I am the only one with such questions...?

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I have a Model 50/4 which is laminated with ebony fittings.

I would definately recommend ebony fittings over ebonized.

As far as swelled back vs. flatback, well I believe you can only get flatbacks with either carved tops or fully carved basses, and IMO, flat backs project a little better but swelled backs give you a fuller sound.

My recommendation is to buy as much bass as you can afford. If you can afford a hybrid or fully carved with the features you want, buy it.

I am very happy with my Strunal bass and use it alot which is ironic since I only bought it as a back-up to my carved top German bass.

Good Luck

3. for quick response glivanos

I am going to visit Strunal manufactory next week.
    My budget - as I was saving for about 15 months... - allows me to reach for hybrid and maybe even for whole carved bass.

I don't know if should buy top hybrid model or low carved one - there is nice deal for 5/7 (polyurethane) and 5/5 (spirit) both flat backs and quite a good range of hybrids to choose,although all of them are in polyurethane.

Seems that I somehow became anti-polyurethane and don't even know why...

4. I have a 5/35 hybrid model with the polyurtheane finish, I like my bass she plays well and sounds pretty good. I got her brand new 5 years ago and her sound keeps maturing. The poly finish isn't ideal, but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. I would buy the same bass again if I could do it all over, but you may wanna wait for a varnish finish.

5. Mike - thanks for posting here

I am considering to buy hybrid or fully carved one.
    They have 5/7 model in glossy poly finish and 5/5 model with spirit varnish. Those ar my high possible choices.

I also considered hybrid 5/20 or 5/21 but I am quite what to choose - want the best I can get but don't know if masive one will be better or hybrid is more resistant.

6. I have a 5/35 hybrid with poly finish and i like it. When I bought it the poly finish was the only one available. I think the spirit varnish is better. if you have been saving for 15 months wait 2 extra months for the bass you really want.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a Strunal 5/20 in poly finish( only finish available at the time), and she plays and sounds great. I like the poly finish as it's alot more durable than a varnish. The 5/20, 5/21, and 5/35 are all the same bass but with different veneers on the sides, and back.

8. Richard Whitema

Richard Whitema

Jul 30, 2004
    Toronto
    I purchased a 5/20 Strunal Hybrid two years ago from Heinl's
    in Toronto. The sound has opened up considerably and the instrument is a better value dollar-wise than the entry-level
    carved basses from Strunal.
    I had the soundpost moved to a sweeter spot recently and
    the E and A strings got a 20% boost.
    This is the first bass I've played(I am a jazz pianist by profession)and I'm very happy with it.

Richard Whiteman
    <www.richardwhiteman.com>

9. Hi again

Richard - thanks for the info, but it's to late a little - I've purchased a bass on Wednesday...
    ...it is 5/5 wA model (entry level fully carved bass...).
    It certainly need to be set up by the luthier, so I am just waiting now up to Monday for an appointed trip to the town where the guy lives.
    As I can say for now - bass looks great and has really loud sound but cannot say anything about other features as it will be more recognisable when we met with the man.

Thanks for the replies guys, although it wasn't to much, but it was nice that sometimes read some newbie's bubbling :)

greetings for all

10. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Congratulations!

Mine is a 5/20, two and a half years old. It sounded good from the begining but a new bridge, soundpost and strings made a big difference. IT'S ALIVE!!!

I'm sure you'll be happy with your bass.:D

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is my 5/20 ... bass1. side1.

12. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Nice!:D

Mine looks a bit shinier. Maybe the lighting?

13. Nice shots!!!

I just can't wait when I will be back from the luthier.
    What do you suggest for the set-up visit ? I will be first time at the pro luthier workshop so don't know how to explain what I want.

Should I just describe to him what I want to play ?

I want to play mainly jazzy things, but need also good bow response - I want to practice with the bow.

Are there any special setups for this kind of playing?

(Doesn't it sound silly?:bag: )

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I dulled the finish on my bass using OOOO steel wool

15. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Just tell him what you want to play and have him take a look at the bass. If he's good, he'll probably know what you and the bass need.

You might want to get an adjustable bridge to play a bit with your string height and decide what suits you best.

16. Bass Greaser:

Can you tell us more? Did you use oil or water with the steel wool? Did you have to polish it up afterwards? No scratches or marks?
    Is 0000 steel wool better than the white Scotch Brite pads?

I'm not crazy about shiny finishes so I may have to do the same thing one of these days.
    The photo of your bass looks great with the matte finish.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just used the steel wool dry, and in circular patterns until I got the dullness I wanted. As far as steel wool vs. Scotch Brite pad. the steel wool gets in the dips and cracks better the the pads

18. Bassgreaser:

I am admiring my new satin finish now:hyper:. Much better than the Eberle's factory gloss.
    I took your advice and used the 0000 steel wool...very gently. Then I washed off the residue with warm water, buffed it with a soft cloth and ended up with a very nice low sheen.
    So thanks....I expected a tough job but it turned out to be quite easy using the steel wool.

19. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm glad I could help. but now you have to post pics of just how nice she looks;)

20. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Oh geez. Now i'm considering doing that to my upright. Doesn't the finish act as a protectant? Won't this be a little to close to exposing bare wood?