Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strunals for College Students?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DrDelicious, Sep 30, 2004.

1. DrDelicious

DrDelicious

Apr 18, 2004
    Illinois
    I'm interested in a Strunal 5/20. Would this be a good instruemnt for use at the college level in both jazz and orchestral music? I'm on a budget, but I'd really like to upgrade from my Chinese laminate. How much of a tonal step-up will a hybrid be from a full-laminate? Thank you.

2. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    This depends what you are hoping to do in the future, and where you are.

Some schools have decent carved/hybrid basses you can borrow : it may be smarter to bide your time until you can afford a fully carved instrument.

A lot of lower-end instruments suffer from the problem of also being poorly set-up . Set-up makes life miserable when it isn't so good. A nice set-up makes a cheap bass a lot nicer to play, and usualyl much nicer sounding.

3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    You may want to check out an Eberle at bassesonline.com.

The carved one is a reasonable price. My teacher says mine would get a music major through college.

It's playable as delivered from Ideal. We've upgraded the strings and adjusted the sound post and will install an adjustable bridge in 3 to 6 months, after the bass settles in.

4. Humberto

Humberto Supporting Member

I've owned a strunal 5/35 hybrid and a strunal 5/6 carved.

I think the tone that strunal delivers, for the money, is hard to beat. I get a really sweet, phat tone, with obligatos on the carved bass.

I think if you shop around you can find a 5/35 in the $1500. range plus set-up.
    Good luck.