1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strymon Iridium

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheLopp, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    Would it work on bass guitar?

Strymon Iridium

“Now there is a pedal that truly delivers the sound and feel of a world-class tube amp driving a perfectly matched speaker cabinet in a great sounding room. Iridium gives you three iconic amplifiers, nine impulse response speaker cabinets, and lush room ambience. With Iridium, it’s a snap to dial in a direct tone that will truly inspire and sound great whether you are monitoring through in-ears, floor wedges, reference monitors, or studio headphones.”

Iridium - Coming Soon - Strymon

Jacobfred likes this.
  2. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I would be surprised if they are catering for us bass players. Strymon seem to be guided by the guitar crowd.

I’m sure it will be amazing quality but I doubt it will have bass specific options... maybe if it has “ir” it may have the possibility for downloading bass cab sims. It would make sense for them to future proof the pedal with the addition of possible “updates”.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    It might sound great with bass for some things. I use old school Ampeg amps and cabs, for example, and in my experience many guitar amps and cabs sound great with bass too. People don't use them for bass not because they sound bad but instead because they lack the necessary power and excursion. But neither is an issue for modeling like this.

johnpbass likes this.
  4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    +

5. Ow, my eyes. They tried to focus.

TheLopp likes this.
  6. All the strymon pedals i’ve used and tried, have worked great with bass so...

TheLopp likes this.
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm surprised that they didn't include a DI in this pedal. Seems like an obvious choice for an end-of-chain box right before you go DI to the PA or a studio console. Maybe not enough room to squeeze in a good one. Their Facebook Live video even showed them going from it into a Radial ProDI.

LowActionHero and DrColossus68 like this.
  8. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    Just saw the intro video and you can load your own IR’s! That’s really interesting. I think I have to buy this one. I have both the Riverside and Sunset and think they are great for bass. I have the El Cap, Flint, Deco and Mobius too...

9. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Exactly what I was thinking. One (as a layman) might think that at least one of the two outputs could easily have been a TRS with a symmetrical signal.

10. DrColossus68

DrColossus68

Mar 3, 2016
    Agreed, for $400 you would hope you wouldn't have to drop another $100 to use it ampless

11. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
  12. It's DI AND instrument level. From Zach at Sweetwater:

"With the IR it's actually outputting line level if you use a TRS output, but it's instrument level if it's a TS output. So if you're using balanced cables you don't need to get a DI box to get it to run to anything. So if you have a really awesome DI you'd still probably want to run that, but otherwise you don't have to."

I'm gonna have a really hard time not buying one of those!

equill and DrColossus68 like this.
  13. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for pointing that out. Definitely makes more sense for them to include a means of running direct.

14. What do you guys find appealing about this over the Darkglass / Line6 offerings?

15. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Darkglass has a dedicated cabinet simulator and IR convolver pedal?

16. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    So it has DI capability but no FX loop. That's not a huge deal for me (I run all my FX out front of the amp anyway), but a lot of guitar players are going to have a big complaint over that, I'd think.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Eh. I like Strymon, but unless they're releasing a "Iridium B" I can't see a lot of serious interest.

project_c likes this.
  18. It doesn't have MIDI as far as I can see.

19. The newer ultra series pedals have the ability to load IR's

20. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So they offer distortion pedals with an IR convolver strapped on the back end. My point, in response to your original comment, is that nothing Darkglass offers is direct competition to the Strymon Iridium (and vice versa) so they're not really comparable.