1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stu Cook CCR

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Aug 26, 2012.

1. The older I get the more I appreciate the simple but very effective bass playing of Stu Cook with CCR.

2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    It's a shame that Stu Cook, and CCR in general, doesn't get much TB respect. :meh:

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I wouldn't hold out much hope for the tape deck. Or the Creedence.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cook did not get any respect from John Fogerty, either.

5. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Stu Cook is the man! He's one of those players that absolutely carries each song with his bass lines. I love what he does in Born on the Bayou and Commotion.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Love the bass line on "Have you ever seen rain."

7. yeah..well you know...that's just like your opinion man.

Stu is certainly underrated....great playing and always right in the pocket....one of my favorites is their long jam of "I heard it through the grapevine".

8. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Right on, I liked CCR's simple, hit-the-root note approach and simple riffs ("Cross Tie Walker" is a cool bass line)

9. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Unfortunately, NOBODY got any respect from John. His ego was way out of control. I completely lost all respect for John after learning how he treated his brother. John is worm slime in my book (strictly my opinion, of course).

As for Stu, I agree with my TB bretheren. Stu nailed the pocket. He demonstrated how the bass is supposed to support the music. He wasn't flashy because he didn't need to be. He is, IMO, a bass player's bassist.

Kudos to shrimpflea for posting this thread!

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I guess this is common knowledge, but I wasn't aware of it. Can you elaborate a bit, Jim? Did J.F. bash Stu in an interview or book or something?

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC, I read something in an old '80s/'90s Guitar mag (not sure it was Guitar Player)...IIRC, the interviewer asked Fogerty about his amount of control during CCR. Fogerty said something like...-
    '...they (Cook & "Cosmo"?) asked to have creative input...you give them plenty of timne to come up with something...was just easier & faster if I did it myself".

If I think about it, I will hunt around for that magazine (there's a good chance I still have it).

12. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    In fairness to John Fogerty, the other band members had plenty of opportunity after CCR broke up to demonstrate their creative genius. How did that work out?

Let's face reality: John Fogerty was the creative genius and the band achieved phenomenal success under his leadership. The others were fine musicians for CCR's genre of music but they had not much clue about how to do it on their own.

13. Good points Old Dog. I like the bass lines and some harder to play in time then it would seem or sound. We tried playing Down on the Corner (I think it was that) and for whatever reason we just couldn't get it together. Someone was always screwing up.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Found it...Guitar World Aug 1998 (OzzFest cover)
    http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-World-Magazine-August-OZZFEST/dp/B003HYB95Q
    Caveat: This is from 1998 & it is Fogerty's side.

GW: "What was your role in CCR & what did the other guys contribute"?
    JF: "...the simple way to answer is, I always taught the band their parts...I showed the band how each part went- I showed them the music that fit the song I had written".

GW: "Does that make them the equivalent of session musicians"?
    JF: "That was indeed their function...yes, it was John Fogerty showing each guy exactly how his part went".

Later-
    TF: "...there were problems. I can remember on the song 'Born To Move'...and I told Stu 'All right, here's 4 bars here...come up with something'...and we sat there 2 1/2 hours waiting for him to come up with that little bridge".

...and it goes on & on.

15. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It's a stark truth that sometimes the people with John Fogerty's talent and personality (alleged control freak/ egomaniac) simply get the job done. I have little doubt that he could have played all of the instruments on their recordings, used the other guys only for live shows, and the band would have sold just as many records as they did.

16. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    What made ccr good was not just the talent, it was the chemistry of the band. Fogerty could play with best players in the world, but they will not sound like ccr.

17. +1 to that, bro.

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks Jim. Sounds like he didn't have a lot of regard for any of the other three. Disappointing, but I've never been real fond of divas. I have more respect for people with a quiet confidence mixed with a sprinkling of humility. But I admit that I sure did like a lot of their music; and John Fogerty's vocals and guitar work was definitely the main reason for it. Talented? For sure. Tact? Not so much... ;)

19. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Gotta love CCR. Every aspect of it

20. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Fogerty was no different than Zappa or Hendrix or Prince or any other driven artist. Fogerty had a fairly unique artistic vision. Unfortunately, his brother got in the way. It happens.