Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Cook

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Aug 28, 2002.

1. He is a great player.
    I seen CCrevisited in concert a couple years ago
    and he was great.

Pff! you guys and your vic wootens! (A great player, just not my kind of music)

I'd rather watch CCR then vic or those other players.

So what does everyone else think?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I can dig out a John Fogerty interview from an '80s Guitar mag...if you want.
    He didn't paint a pretty picture of who did what in CCR(basically, Fogerty sez he wrote all the guitar & bass parts). ;)

Didn't it make you wonder why, when CCR was inducted into the R&R Hall Of Fame, Fogerty opted against a "reunion" & went ahead & played the CCR tune-age with the studio band?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fogerty and the band have been at odds for decades. Remember the situation with his brother? The rip really started when John felt that the band took the label's side in a dispute.

I've been a huge fan since the beginning and I think it's pretty obvious that John was probably 90%+ of that band.

One of the weirdest lawsuits in music that I can recall was when he got sued for writing a solo song that sounded like another song he had recorded earlier with CCR... he was accused of copying himself.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    Yeah, I remember that, too. I mean, c'mon! ;)

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My old band use to do a medley of Old Man Down the Road and Green River. It was hella fun to play.

For some cool Stu playing check out a song called Born to Move. He does this totally ripping funky groove solo at the end of the song.

My dad was in a band called Effigy. (Named after the CCR song, they never covered the song though)

6. I agree!
    Born to move in a funky, grooving song.
    It's one of my favs.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I met and had a long coversation with John Fogerty a few years back........great guy!......but to say he has a bitter taste in his mouth about the music biz and former bandmates is a understatement!!