Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stu hamm gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cermony, Jan 26, 2003.

1. cermony

cermony

Jan 21, 2003
    sao paulo, brazil
    ok, i know he probably uses his signature fender and the old kubicki, but what else stu is using?

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Well, now, I hear he's endorsing Peavy amps (formally Hartke). But that is very recently. If you listen to all of his live stuff, with satriani or solo, he was using Hartke. His latest solo album, 'outbound' i think, he recorded everything digitaly.

Hope that helps!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I think Stu's an incredible player, but I'd never emulate his tone - it sounds like dookie to me. His latest album with Gambale and Smith was atrocious. Its totally beyond me how a professional of that caliber can have a tone so bad.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    It's definately a different tone...that's for sure. But with Stu playing...who can complain..........

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He had amazing sound at the time of his first two solo albums, on recordings AND live.
    But then he ditched the Kubickis - BAD mistake mista! :(

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    He uses he signature Urge II bass by Fender, and Peavey amps. I saw a web page about why he changed back to Peavey, when i find it ill post it up ;)

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    saw him with Satch at the Orpheum (Boston) a few years ago. 4 Hartke 4x10's and a rack full of stuff. I got a quick look at his pedal board but the only thing I remember was the Whammy pedal.

His live tone was calssic piano bass to me. It worked well in that setting and he kept the drummer and Joe glued together.

I didn't care much for his soloing really overstated ... a set piece that he obviously does night in / out. I just think that snoopy theme thing, while technically impressive, is only that. IMHO if you're gonna solo, it ought to be from the heart and it ought to have something to do with the piece of music that surrounds it. But it was well executed and the guy has chops. No question there.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...runs up to my wife the other day and says: "They 'STU' him 'cause they Love Him!"

Kids, 5 and 8 won't let me have my Joe Satriani DVD back.:eek:

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    LOL, cool kids you got there P. :)

10. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Ten years later and I still find this interesting :)