Stu Hamm is the best solo bassist period.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Flatwoundround, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    I enjoy playing in the band but alsoo have a deep desire to be able to play bass alone and try to entertain people and make it sound musical. Did not really think it was possible until I saw Stu Hamm. The man is amazing and has inspired the stools out of me.

Normally we think of instruments like piano and chord melody guitar as the only ones that can sound like full music when played alone - since the melody and harmony and bass line is played all together. But Stu proves that you can use tapping to mimick piano and can also use chord melody guitar techniques on bass and make it sound fantastic. He also mixes in some fantastic slap in there also.

I know there are lots of solo bass players nowadays but Stu is my favorite for the following reasons:

1. He does not use any looper pedals or backing tracks. In fact he does not use any pedals at all.

2. He incorporates his great sense of humor and funny stories. It is fun watching him because he can be funnier than some of the so called great comedians and people love to laugh and have fun.

Vinny Tomassetti likes this.
  2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Love Stu Hamm.

I played 'Flow My Tears' as my audition piece for college.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Talking about who the best bass player is is like arguing about about which is the best sandwich.
    It's pointless and makes you look silly for starting the conversation.

4. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    My wife makes the best sandwiches.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yes she does.

But seriously, Stu was one of my bass inspirations growing up. As were Stanley Clarke, Duck Dunn, James Jamerson and Michael Manring.
    None are "best". Art isn't quantifiable. Art isn't competition.

6. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    How can anyone compare Stu Hamm's "Peanuts" solo to Victor Wooten's "Norwegian Wood?" Two completely different styles, using varying techniques. Both are brilliant. Although, I prefer Victor's sound, but that's just one more subjective quality.

7. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    No Regerts!

8. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Thank you for your wisdom oh mighty one.

Now go home!

punchdrunk likes this.
  9. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

substitute "my favorite" for "the best"

grrg63, Ikkir, csc2048b and 3 others like this.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Exactly.
    There's no checklist of what makes one player better than another, particularly at the incredibly high level of both of them.
    It's not like you're comparing barely competent beginners or something.
    "My favorite is better than your favorite" is the kind of thing children argue about over the lunch table in junior high.

11. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Just to be clear I was just kidding. On the other hand
    Yes, yes I know, I realized that after I posted. I guess I should have know that the PC police would

antonio_darko likes this.
  12. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Okay I agree I forgot to put the "IMO" at the end of the title. But note in my actual thread I did state that he was my favorite as opposed to the best.

But people are so touchy sensitive these days and ready to hand out the PC violations on a dime.

I publicly retract all my statements made as it was clear that I was in an incoherent state of mind.

13. ham.jpg
    Not too crazy about stu ham but the biscuit was delicious...

14. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    It's not really a PC thing, it's just there really is no best when it comes to this. Nobody's being touchy.

Sartori, grrg63, csc2048b and 8 others like this.
  15. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Light-hearted, safe response:
    Not sure what "PC Police" and "PC violations" have to do with any of this, given how apolitical this whole topic is. :D

More on topic:
    Stu Hamm is absolutely phenomenal. The first thing I remember of him was reading an interview where he talked about the power of being the bass player.. how we can define the harmony just be choosing what note to play. It was similar to something I would later read Paul McCartney say.

Then I actually got to hear the man play. Ooowee! I like your piano comparison. First time I heard a Hamm solo piece, I thought I was listening to a keyboardist with some kind of harpsichord sound.

Stated earnestly, because I think you've signaled that you can handle such discourse.

I'm someone who sees conversations and debate being shut down in the name of excessive sensitivity as a very bad thing. I think, based upon your response above that that you and I agree with each other regarding people excessively sensitivity-policing each other's language. So I feel free to say this because you've indicated that you can handle the big-boy talk, and clicked through the double-disclaimer above.

You got my dander up deciding to label me the PC Police, in other words. I spent a while wanting to word this whole mess a heck of a lot more strongly, if you catch my drift. But then It becomes this whole I yell, you yell.. blah blah thing. So I relaxed.

Please don't cry "OMG PC Police" when someone shuts down a statement or argument of yours for actual reasons. Every time you do, you give people like you and me a reputation as Chicken Littles in terms of reasoned debate. At worst, we become what we claim to be against by implicitly asking for someone else's silence because we find their words offensive. At best, we gain a reputation for rhetorical fragility. Let's not declare the sky is falling unless it is in fact falling.

Note that all I said there was "please" followed by my reasoning. You're under no obligation to agree with me. Do whatever you want with my request. Treat it as food for thought or toss it in the garbage. It's all good. To me, that's the joy and the responsibility of free speech. Take care.

16. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Okay there is an interview with Anthony Jackson on youtube where he says that Buddy Rich was the best drummer ever. Should we scold him for saying this?

I have already apologized for my grave attrocity and have already been sent to the HR department. Can we move on and talk about how awesome Stu is now?

17. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I disagree with with Anthony Jackson, and if I was in conversation with him, yes I would tell him so (not scold). Your apology included a passive-aggressive "PC police" comment, and this comment I'm responding to now is also passive-aggressive.

Now, we can move on. Yep, Stu Hamm is a great player.

Sartori, grrg63, Ikkir and 6 others like this.
  18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    What is the best hamm for metal?

19. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I was really disappointed with Satriani's replacement for Stu. He at least should have found someone close in skill level.

20. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    You think he's the best. I think someone else is best, but you give reasons for your opinion. It's cool.

bolophonic likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021