1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stu Hamm Urge 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-Bone5566, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Hello, I about to pickup a used bass, 350 dollars for a black Urge 1 bass, sound like a good deal? it's a 32 scale ( which I like) and active pickups, I most likely get Barts in there. Does this sound like a good deal?

2. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I like them.

RS

3. if it's in good shape, it's almost TOO good a deal!

4. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    That's an OK price. There is one in the Guitar Center used website for $350 and I saw another one up for $400.

If it is the one in the pic below, beware that it has the "Mexican Style" jazz bass pickups which are a weird non-standard size that are hard to find aftermarket pups for.

[​IMG]

5. OK but 350-400 American is like 500 Canadian, OK thanks for the info guys and special thanks to Gassieball for actually finding one to compare. I don't think I am getting ripped off...

6. cabrego

cabrego Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Is it the MIA model?

7. It's Made in Mexico...which I have no problems with...

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    $350 is too much for MIM.

9. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Cana buck is real close to par with USA dollar. Buy USA lol.

10. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    It's not the fact that it's MIM, it's the fact that the pickups are a weird size. The bridge is NOT wider than the neck so if you are looking for a matched reverse wound set from Bartolini, I don't think they will fit, FWIW.

11. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    http://www.aeroinstrument.com/pickups.html

"Mexican J Bass 4 Replacement The infamous pole piece pickup. The neck & bridge are identical!! Shorter and wider then the standard neck pickup, standard covers do not fit!!! The replacement pickup is designed to fit into the existing cover. New covers are not available through Aero."

This is the only aftermarket replacement pickups I could find for that application.

12. cabrego

cabrego Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I owned the MIA model for a year and was never happy with it. 350 might be too much for the mexican model, unless if you are really looking for a smaller shaped bass.

13. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I was really interested in this bass until I encountered the pickup snafu. I think because it's sort of a rare bass, people tend to ask for a higher than expected price. It's not like it's a MIM standard P or J bass which are everywhere.

14. well I already have a passive bass so I can keep this active and not replace the pickups, it's my second bass so it doesn't have to be perfect. Also I do like smaller basses as I am a small guy

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I bought a 1994 Urge in Toronto for $250 at L&M 2 years ago and that was a steal. There is one on Toronto CL for $400 with a good case and that seems to be what they are worth in Canada of the US.

IMO is is a GREAT bass for the $$$. It sounds great and plays incredibly.

16. dude that's the bass I am going to look at :p...the one on CL Toronto

17. Baird6869

He has had it listed forever on CL and has dropped it from $450, to $425 to $400. Maybe he will take $350.:bassist:

If it is in great condition and the case is new, it is worth $350-400 IMO.

18. OK I got it, 350 dollars, case included and it's in great shape, just needed new strings and a cleaning...thanks all for the help

19. Baird6869

Ha Ha! It's worth only $50... are you CRAZY??!! Why did you listen to me!?!?!:spit::D

Just kidding, nice grab. :) Post pics when you get it cleaned up. I forget if the one you got was a 3 knob or a 2 knob (stacked). Both are great IMO.

Anyways, I really like my Urge and even thought I have at least a dozen basses, I practice with it in my office almost every day.... and I generally hate short scale basses. IMO this 32" is much closer in feel to a 34" than it is to a 30". It having 24 frets is a bonus too. It is really fun to play.

Enjoy!:bassist:

20. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I agree it's a great player. If you don't want to change the pickups that's cool, but the preamp is a little harsh like many preamps they put in MIM Fenders. You mentioned Barts which have a warmer tone to me and that is not what I recall that preamp sounds like.