Stu Hamm Urge 2 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elvis78, Nov 28, 2003.

1. elvis78

Nov 26, 2003
    Finland, Porvoo
    Hello fellow bassplayers,

After playing a few year with 5-string bass I have decided to buy a 4-string to complete my musical equipement arsenal. Because I am a fan of P and J-styles basses I discovered a "two in one" package, the Stu Hamm Urge 2 bass. After viewing an old bassplayer rewiew of the bass my interest of this specific bass has grown bigger. So are here any bassplayers that have experience with and of this bass. Good sides and bad sides. Weight and colour don't matter to me, the only thing that matters is playability and sound.

The local Fender dealer has not got the Urge 2 in stock so if I want to test it, I have to order it though there is no must to buy it but anyway...

Also it would be nice to hear comments of Fender AMD FMT-5, to me it's truly a excellent bass.

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have tried the Stu Hamm Urge 2 bass and was not impressed. I dont know if it was lack of a good setup or what. To me, it felt like an MIM fender, no better. THe tone was better, but the feel was all the same. Nothing spectacular. If it cost $800, maybe, but at its price, IMO overpriced.
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Me no likey. Pick-ups no sound good, preamp not well voiced and not pleasing sounding either. Even with the countoured heel, high frets still unaccessible, except for tapping.
  4. The original urge short-scale was imo much better. I loved that bass, felt so easy to play, nice (but unusual) tone selections. I personally loved it, couldnt get used to slapping it but i was only at the store for 20 mins ;). Anyway, it was excellent for tapping and i liked the tone.
  5. I picked mine up @ The Bass Place in AZ. I love it! Plays nice, sounds great, no problems whatsoever.

Now, if it were wired in stereo...
  6. I don't know, like i said in another thread, i like the stu hamm II. played through a eden amp&cab, it's got the sweetest blues bass sound (if you like that kind of stuff, i do) of course, i suppose edens will sweeten up any bass though!!

7. i played one a LONG LONG time ago... at the time i wasnt very good (im still not) but i was not impressed at all... i didnt like the way it played enough to plug it in
  8. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i love the urge I, but i have never played the urge II. I wish i could get one (Urge I) , but no left handed urge so im just SOL.
  9. elvis78

Nov 26, 2003
    Finland, Porvoo
    Thanks all for your comments. Have to try it out by myself before I can judge it. Tough, there is more negative comments than positive and I find it strange. But as I said, I have to try out it myself befor I can say if I like it or not. A other interesting bass is the Billy Sheehan signature attitude bass. Never have had a chanse to try it out, if anyone have, please reply.

Thanks all, and keep playing!
  10. The attitude does have some great features, Im sure its been discussed here before, try a search. If not, make a new thread.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I auditioned one. It's reasonably well put-together, but the light weight and small construction make it an oddball amongst Fenders - it still feels flimsy compared with instruments in its price range.

The pickup arrangement is versatile, though the overall flavor of the instrument is "active P." I thought the JPJ pickup arrangement didn't leave enough room for slap-pop craziness, YMMV.
  12. I have an Urge I and played an Urge II in GC and honestly its not a better version of Urge I.
    These are lighweight smallish basses w/ a set tone in mind, that tone being stu hamm. These basses have a very unique presence- more of a hifi midrangy tone. I would call it a lead bass type tone. Next the electronic control these basses. You clearly hear the electronics and not the wood. This was very noticible w/ the Urge I and IMO still so w/ Urge II. I found the Urge II to make a decent P tone and a passable J tone. Like th elast poster said and "active P bass" .
    What i really liked w/ the UrgeII was how playable it is, superfast neck, and small body adds up to speed and comfort. i thought the electronic were useful and versitile, but again the tone is not traditional fender.

Of course you need to play it to decide whats right for you
  13. Thats similar to what the guy at Steve's music thought. He said it had a "strange tone". I liked it a lot, but I am not always one for traditional tones, I do a lot of nasal tones or nice mids down to dead upright tones or just tons of attack (steve harris' fault, not mine ;)). Anyway, I like stu's tone, but this bass does have a wide variety of tones, although none of them are really traditional. Its true, very customized, but you'd have to decide, you can still lay down some nice grooves with a few of the settings...well, most of stu's stuff is very basic groove anyway (not solo stuff of course) so he does like that versitility. Yeah, the guy trying to sell it didnt really like it too much i dont think, so you'd have to hear it first.