Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm Urge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Nov 27, 2001.

1. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    Does anybody no anything or have any opinions on the Stu Hamm Urge fender bass? i was playing a used one at a music shop, and it seemed pretty cool. the best part is having the best of two worlds, j and p pickups! i was looking around on ebay and theres a couple different edition of the urge.:rolleyes:

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Played one 4 years ago they are ok if you like the modded Fender vibe. I think that they made a US and a mex version. Sorry thats all I (think I) know.

Anyway you got a bump

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Are you referring to the discontinued original short-scale Urge or the 34"-scale Urge II? The original didn't do so well in the market; an excellent to mint used one shouldn't fetch more than about $800.

The Urge II runs for about $1250 new. It's very light and small and doesn't have that hefty Fender feel to it. Also, you can't bypass the active preamp. For those reasons, I think a lot of Fender people won't like it. I do, but I think it's way overpriced; IMO, it's an American P-Bass Lyte with a souped up electronics package.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I originally wanted this because it had both worlds of pickups but when I actually went to play one, it deffiantly didn't feel like 1250s worth....I'm not much for versatile basses anyways...I only need MY sound and my sound alone.

5. I have a Stu Hamm Urge-II and I really like it. I had tried one of the earlier 32" Urge basses and frankly didn't like it. It wasn't the versatile bass that it promised to be. The MIM version was simply a slightly modified P-Bass Lyte.

However, the Urge II is not of the same ilk. It is a very solid bass. Quality is very good. And sound versatility is excellant. It's as nice as any of the RI's, AmDlx, and some production CS models that I've seen.

I bought a 2001 model, 3-color sunburst. I paid around $1210 for it. I've only had it for about 2.5 months now. But, from what I've experienced with it so far, it's a keeper. But, I don't make that type of decision final, one way or the other, until after a year or so of ownership.

Don't sell this bass short. You should give it a chance if you're looking for a bass that really is versatile. It can get J-Bass sounds. It can get P-Bass sounds. And it can get sounds that neither of them can get.

6. and the neck is like a on a precision right?

7. No. The neck is a little over half-way between a J (1.5") and a current P (1.625"). It's really a nice feel at 1.59", at least I like it and I by far prefer P necks to J necks.

8. Hi:
    I have an original 32" scale Stu hamm Urge bassI (MIA) w/ 3 p'ups. It been by main bass since 1993, however recently retired. The newer urgeII are slightly different, and in someways slightly better (upgraded p'ups, electronics, also a 34" scale). Bass player magazine liked the UrgeII and has a review posted online.

I found the old UrgeI to play superfast (cuz its real small) and sounds decent. However it was limited, IME I couldn't dial in a deep sounding bass or get a growly tone. The bass has a modern tone and can do a P-bass vibe okay and a so-so J-bass tone. The basses are fairly lightweight, and more mid-treble sounding and even thou you can boost the bass its not anything close to a good P bass for thump. One of the better ways to describe the tone is you hear the electronics more than the wood. However it makes a good slap tone and w/ all three p'up on a nice broad range tone for fingerstyle. But boy does it play fast. IMO the passive setting was only a failsafe for the battery dying. The passive tone is well... thin sounding.

If you go to harmony-central or BRGA, you can read reviews about the both Urge basses and make your own decision.

I played the UrgeII about 1 yr ago, and thought it was overpriced for what you got, its in the price range of used high end basses.

I've seen the Urge I basses go for about $700-800 on EBAY

Sammy-do you notice any noise in the electronics? The UrgeII I played was noisey when cranked and in the headphones was too noisey to record w/.

Lastly, I do like my UrgeI bass, and it has been a workhorse for 9yrs, but since Ive been playing my Dingwall (tone and playability plus) the Urge is taking a well deserved break
    frank
    PS heres 2 threads which describe the UrgeI features