Stu Hamm Urge II Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAxe, Aug 13, 2002.

1. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Has any one played one of these?

What did you think?

I want a Fender, but I prefer my basses with at least 24 frets. The Stu Urge II is the only 24-fret Fender bass I know about.

I can't find one locally and I'd hate to make a store order one and possibly be stuck with it if I'm not thrilled.
  2. Please Do a search ...
    this questions was asked twice in the past 2 weeks.
    Mixed concenus on the bass...also feel free to read the reviews at harmony-central (user reviews) and at

3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Is there a bass in that guy's jeep? I can't read his language . . .
  4. My bad...pretty funny
    i will edit the above post
  5. KCjedi/S19

Aug 10, 2002
    hey man the stu hamm has a comfortable feel like most fenders a better than average set of electronics. it's a pretty cool bass good for slap great for taps obviosly being stu's and it has a cool look to it.
    good luck and trust me a music store wouldn't mind being stuck with one
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's not bad. Feels a little dinky compared to most of Fender's basses (it's about the same size and weight as a "Zone"), but the neck is very comfortable and it's well balanced. Fretwork is nice and shiny. I'm not crazy about the preamp, but I can say the same for any active Fender; I wish Hamm had requested a bypass switch.

Also, with medium-low action, I found it a little hard to slap with those three pickups in the way. YMMV.
  7. i started one of the aforementioned threads a little less than a week ago, because i had thought i had heard great things about the bass, and then when i finally tried one, thought it was just absolute crap. here's what my complaints were about it (cut and pasted from my old message):

i plugged it into my amp, and was...incredibly dissapointed! i'm a fan of active pickups, i think the active pups on my jazz deluxe do wonders and sound terrific. but i thought every sound coming out of this bass was just so artificial sounding and way way too treble-y, especially the bridge j-pup. the only setting that i could personally even stand was when it was on the second pickup. there was no punch in the sound at all, absolutely NO growl. granted, this guy plays mostly ska/punk stuff and isnt as interested in a jazz growl but still. the playability was also just awful, it just didnt feel good to be playing. i was excited to play it after seeing the three pickups, that it was USA-made...but the whole bass was just a dissapointment.

so personally, i cant say there was a single thing that i liked about this bass. dont get it. but maybe that's just me.