Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm Urge II Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAxe, Aug 13, 2002.

1. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Has any one played one of these?

What did you think?

I want a Fender, but I prefer my basses with at least 24 frets. The Stu Urge II is the only 24-fret Fender bass I know about.

I can't find one locally and I'd hate to make a store order one and possibly be stuck with it if I'm not thrilled.

2. Please Do a search ...
    this questions was asked twice in the past 2 weeks.
    Mixed concenus on the bass...also feel free to read the reviews at harmony-central (user reviews) and at www.bgra.net

frank

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Is there a bass in that guy's jeep? I can't read his language . . .

www.bgra.net

4. My bad...pretty funny
    i will edit the above post
    frank

5. KCjedi/S19

KCjedi/S19

Aug 10, 2002
    Florida
    hey man the stu hamm has a comfortable feel like most fenders a better than average set of electronics. it's a pretty cool bass good for slap great for taps obviosly being stu's and it has a cool look to it.
    good luck and trust me a music store wouldn't mind being stuck with one

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's not bad. Feels a little dinky compared to most of Fender's basses (it's about the same size and weight as a "Zone"), but the neck is very comfortable and it's well balanced. Fretwork is nice and shiny. I'm not crazy about the preamp, but I can say the same for any active Fender; I wish Hamm had requested a bypass switch.

Also, with medium-low action, I found it a little hard to slap with those three pickups in the way. YMMV.

7. i started one of the aforementioned threads a little less than a week ago, because i had thought i had heard great things about the bass, and then when i finally tried one, thought it was just absolute crap. here's what my complaints were about it (cut and pasted from my old message):

i plugged it into my amp, and was...incredibly dissapointed! i'm a fan of active pickups, i think the active pups on my jazz deluxe do wonders and sound terrific. but i thought every sound coming out of this bass was just so artificial sounding and way way too treble-y, especially the bridge j-pup. the only setting that i could personally even stand was when it was on the second pickup. there was no punch in the sound at all, absolutely NO growl. granted, this guy plays mostly ska/punk stuff and isnt as interested in a jazz growl but still. the playability was also just awful, it just didnt feel good to be playing. i was excited to play it after seeing the three pickups, that it was USA-made...but the whole bass was just a dissapointment.

so personally, i cant say there was a single thing that i liked about this bass. dont get it. but maybe that's just me.

Joel