Stu Hamm Urge II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phumsorn, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Phumsorn

Nov 27, 2000
    Last year I bought Roscoe Beck V and now I'm looking for 4 strings.
    Anyone play Fender "Stu Hamm Urge II" or can suggest what it likes will be very helpful.
  2. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I almost bought this bass but I couldn't find any fender dealers that had it in stock so that I could try it out. I did try out the Stu Hamm Urge I bass though (used). It is very small...small body, thin neck, very fast, wide range of tones. I liked the feel of it, but I'd recommend trying to play one first because at least the first model did "feel" different than your average bass.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Bass Player Magazine seemed to love this bass. Check out the review from the June '00 issue. You can go to - click on GEAR - Then, look at their Soundroom: Gear Reviews.
    (Your own personal review will be the only real way to tell if the bass is for you, but a review as good as this one doesn't hurt.)
  4. Phumsorn

Nov 27, 2000
    I did read the bassplayer's review. They seem to like it very much that's why I am looking for it since Roscoe is too heavy and hard to play for a long period.
    I'm just wondering and looking for the comment before I spend the money. Is there any brand in this price range that I should try giving the same or better quality than Stu Hamm.

By the way, I have to wait for a few week to try it first since there is out of stock in our local musical dealer.
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I played one, acoustically so I don't know how the tone is, but it played like a P bass crossed with a kubicki. It was kinda neat, I think I played the one with the 32" scale so that might be the UrgeI but it was pretty nice. I've never really liked Stu's tone that much though. Sometimes he sounds good like when he's all sentual and plucking and such but when he slaps it's usualy a bit poopy sounding. Nothing against him, he's incredible at slap and He has inspired most of my taping but I just dont like his tone.
  6. I'm interested in this bass too, but I can't seem to find the review on BassPlayer's site. Can someone post a direct link to the review?
  7. I recently played an Urge II and was so impressed, that I'm going to order one in next year. It was 34 scale, with a very comfortable neck and not overly heavy in the body. Excellent range of tones with the active JPJ setup. I was actually going to order a Yamaha Attitude II, but the Urge II felt a lot more comfortable and playable. I don't know what pricing is like in the States, but here in Oz, the UrgeII is only $AUD3000 compared to the Attitude's $2500, and you seem to get a LOT more bass for the $$$$$.

8. Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    I haven't played one but the tones I've heard are pretty good, but i've been able to get the tone on a much cheaper Fender Aerodyne
  9. I was able to get my hands on one at the local shop that was just in from the factory and right out of the box the bass had me very impressed. Loved the feel and it sounded spectacular. Just wish my cheque book was willing to let me take it home.
  10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They are amazing things....really great basses. I've enver had a chance to try one, but I would jump at it. I bear so many good things about the Urge basses (I do, however, prfer the Urge over the Urge for the looks/scale length).

I'd still reccommend a Kubicki above both of them though!
  11. The Urge II is one of the nicer high end Fenders. They play & sound great. I have & Urge I & it too plays like a dream & sounds great. :bassist: