Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm w/ Jim Peterson Group

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jun 14, 2003.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My teacher holds a monthly show at the local Musician's Union Hall. A very very small room, probably 20' x 15'. Nothing major. Each show he has a different band open, and then my teacher's band plays.

The band that opened this past Sunday was the Jim Peterson group, an electric quartet. Stu Hamm was on bass. Because of the size of the room, I was literally no more than 12' away from Stu as he played. No stage, just a room.

I couldn't have cared less. I couldn't take my eyes/ears off of the drummer, Dan Foltz. This guy was amazing. Stu would be soloing, (and truth be told, I'm not really a huge fan of his playing style anyway), and I wouldn't even be listening, I'd be completely focused on the drummer, listening to every note, every beat. I'd assume you guys are like me, in that during live shows you're transfixed on the bassist, listening to every nuance. I find it remarkable that my attention can be diverted from one of the world's most accomplished electric bassists, to this locally known drummer. If you local cats every get a chance to hear Dan Foltz, take it. Immediately.