Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I was at my lesson on Sunday. I was tuning up and my bass teacher started playing. At first I was a bit peaved because he was just sliding up and down and I couldn't hear the harmonics, but then he broke out in some really crazy slap solo that I will never forget. I asked him what it was, to which he replied, "Stu Hamm".

I haven't heard very many bassists who are better than my bass teacher. Victor Wooten and Jaco Pastorius are the only ones I have heard so far. But maybe this guy will get him too!

Anyone know of any good Stu Hamm songs I can download off Kazaa, or any good CD's I can buy?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There have been countless discussions of Stu Hamm here at TalkBass over the years, many in the Bassists folder, but quite a few here in recordings. Do a search for those threads.

In the meantime, my two favorite Stu Hamm CDs are "Radio Free Albemuth" and "The Urge." If I am not mistaken, we had a discussion here of Stu Hamm just this week.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    yes, thank you.

But please, specific songs, not able, convey message, urgency, in sentence fragments.

I need slap.

4. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Dont get too excited about Stu. His name fits him, he really is a ham, like a show and technique, but a complete lack of soul. Kinda the Steve Vai of bass..... but if you dig that kinda thing..?..?... Anyways, if you wanna here technique with feeling try some Micheal Manrig, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Christian Mcbride or Marcus Miller, guys who can groove and show.

5. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Although i have too add, Stu's revision of Linus and Lucy is awesome.

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    You mean the Peanuts' Linus and Lucy?

(bump)

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's the one. It's pretty cool.

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
  9. Ok, I guess you're entitled to your opinion...I'm not defending Stu (although he does stay in the background for most of the songs :meh: as he says himself) but i think Vai really puts a lot of emotion and energy into his songs and albums. I dont know how many albums you heard from him (not just his solos or dlr or g3 or whatever) but they are some of my favourites. Fire Garden is a great album (although he sings kinda like george michael) and he has a lot of quirky stuff too. For the love of God is an AMAZING song and you cant say he doesn't have emotion and is all flash...actually, Vai rarely shows off what he can really do...i think that trait goes to Yngwie (the only virtuoso who makes the blues sound motionless...despite how fast he plays it).

Back to bassists, Stu Hamm's solo after love thing on the San Fran Joe Satriani DVD is great (so is his other live Quahogs Anyone?), he plays the chords for the song then goes into a really nice melody then on to some of his songs (Moonlight sonata (tapped, you'll recognize this one), sexually active (fast tapped), and country music...funny stuff and he dances :D )

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Stu friggin' rocks! After watching numerous solo'd he's done I am totally of the opinion he has serious emotion when he plays...and he's got great chops.:bassist:
    Good friend of mine had the pleasure of meeting/talking with him and I was told he was very humble and gracious. Even took the time to give my buddy some pointers on technique/theory.