Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 26, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I recently downloaded a few of his songs, and man, he sounds so...good. there is no other way to say it. I heard him palying the peanuts theme, and it sounded like an entire band playing at once :eek:

I saw a film clip of him playing a solo with his signature Sparkly red Fender (sorry, i forgot the professional name) and man, played the sweetest song, it was alomst like lulabye music. Does he play in a band, and if so who?

What do you guys think about him, i did a search and there wasnt much that came up on him.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've been listening to Stu since first hearing him on Steve Vai's "Flexable" album when it first came out.
    He tours often as a sideman in Joe Satriani's band.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    A friend of mine from the philipinnes came up to me the other day, he is a fellow voice major and asks me "hey jim, do you know who Stuart hamm is?" of course i said "yes". he said "i bought a cd and it has his version linus and lucy on there and he was playing it on the bass... it was so wicked" and all I could say was "yes, yes it is"...

Ok so the story is somewhat pointless.. but its true.. and people besides non bassist recognize him for his talent

4. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    do a search for 'moonlight sonata' on here and you'll find more than you need to know about him. :)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I liked his sound better on his earlier stuff, when he still played Kubicki basses.
    His Fender sounds ok, but the Kubicki sounded GREAT.

That said, his playing is still amazing, but he needs a fashion advisor (cf. Joe Satriani's Live at S.F. DVD) :p

6. Originally posted by JMX

That said, his playing is still amazing, but he needs a fashion advisor (cf. Joe Satriani's Live at S.F. DVD)

Those shirts sure are something aren't they? :)

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    He has a few solo albums that are really worth checking out. He sings on one album, but it's forgivable with the rest of the instrumentals. I HATE the cheese hair metal guitar he puts on some songs though., Good grief, WHY!!?!?!?!?!

8. The 3 Tone Center CDs 'Show me what you can do" "Light Beyond" and "GHS3" are also worth checking out with Frank Gambale and Steve Smith. Stu gets a lot of solo space and also plays a lot of bass for the other guys.

9. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I really dig Kings of Sleep! IMO its the best of his first 3 solo discs. Haven't heard the newer stuff. The Gambale, Hamm, Smith album looks intresting also and the one song I've heard from it was nice.

10. I Agree.. I have a copy of his first album and I like his tone much better than in more recent stuff Like everithing with J. Satriani..

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Check out his version of "Sleigh Ride". Now that is Christmas music!! :cool:

12. his current bass is called the 'stu hamm urge bass' it has two j pick-ups and a p. blending the sounds of jazz and p-basses.

13. Well for my first post i thought id add a little something to this thread.....

I got chance to meet and chat with Stu a few years ago when he held a clinic at local music store(while he was on tour with joe Satriani)

He's a very cool guy who's very down to earth
    he played/talked/played/took ?'s/played for a good 2 hours(using DAT backing and some solo piece's moonlight/Prelude in C)

he even joked about that flea blew him off when they meet at the golf course and how great but sloopy he thought les was(i think his words where something like "man Primus really SUCK...but then again thats the point.." and how he had'nt had any Good mexican food for 2 months and he how he missed his wife while on tour(the guy was almost in tears about that....or it might have been the mexican foos im not sure ;P )and just how bad his taste in shirts really was....

i got to have a good chat to him after the show getting my cd's signed ect ect ect and he thanked me for taking the time to come and check out the clinic and for supporting his music

id say King's of sleep is my fav album by him sofar(the flamenco ranking on count zero kicks ass)but soom of the GHS stuff worth a good listen

so all i can say about stu is he's a great player a great song writter and a top guy too boot :)

peace

<Gizmo>