Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Hi all,
    I've been listening to a lot of Stu Hamm's stuff lately. I was curious if there are any other Hamm enthusiasts here on the archive. His tapping is pretty good, and I enjoy his "Quahogs Anyone?" solo. What do you think of his Fender Urge Bass? Pretty flashy. What album of Hamm's do you like the best? Just wondering what your thoughts are, thanks.

Andy

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like his earlier stuff best, Radio Free Albemuth and especially Kings Of Sleep.

His Urge bass sounds like poo to me compared to the Kubickis he was using on those albums.

His latest, Outbound...well I don't think his collaborations with DJs etc. worked too well, similar to his singing efforts on The Urge.

But he's still a great player, and one of my major influences. I also dig the Gambale/Hamm/Smith project more than Henderson/Wooten/Smith, better material, and I prefer Gambale over Henderson.

3. Hmmm , I remember seeing him at Academy of Sound last November . Woah . :cool:

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's good, but I wish he would cut out the singing, the DJs etc. and just play bass. As for tone, I'm probably in the minority when I say he sounds better now than he used to with the Kubickis. Either way, his sound is an acquired taste - kind of dinky/guitar-y and not bassy enough for most.

He did some nice arrangements of classical material on his first two albums. How 'bout a full album of that stuff?

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    stus a good player....I'm not a big fan of the Urge basses...I played two of them at a music store not long ago, and they didn't sound very good...they played well, but I didn't like the tone.

6. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
  7. I love his tone . Nice and bright . Not muddy at all .

8. Xaros

Xaros

Feb 23, 2003
    Greece, Athens
    Stu is a great bassist. A friend of mine owns the Urge bass. It has a very clean sound, nice for slap but the pickups are way to many, also its not too easy to play.

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I saw him live with G3, He did a cool solo.
    Acually everybody did a cool solo.

10. Xaros

Xaros

Feb 23, 2003
    Greece, Athens
    Why the audience hates Stu? I have seen in DVD, G3 and Live in San Francisco and everybody is screaming and swearing at him. (after his solo and in the end of the concert)

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    They're saying "STU!", not "boo".

He's a great player, but ever since going to the Urge basses, his tone is ass.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

13. IMHO if Stu wants to play so many chords and tap around so much, he should just learn piano. :oops:

He's done some fabulous stuff, but I feel like he's not using the full potential of his bass. Did you read the review of the Urge in Bass Player a while ago? I got the impression its tone would be more suitable for styles other than Stu's approach. Kind of ironic, eh?

14. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Btw, what exactly is a Quahog?

15. I found a link to a complete transcription of that Quahogs tune along with performance notes. Unfortunately, it's only in standard notation.

Enjoy.

The link...

16. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    It's a type of clam or oyster.

17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i must be dyslexic because i was thinking about Hamish Stuart of Average White Band:D

...we now return to your regularly scheduled programming

18. Three cheers for AWB and bassists named Hamish!

19. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    In regards to your post that Stu Hamm should give up bass, and learn the piano, what makes you think he'll be so good at piano? It is imperetive that everyone remains open-minded. It is imperetive.

20. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Stu used to play the piano. He started playing bass later. I think he is the coolest bassplayer ever.