Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm's "Moonlight Sonata"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassduder, Sep 5, 2001.

1. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    Is there any stu fans out there?

if so, read on, or maybe you know anyway...does anyone know if moonlight sonata by stu hamm, is played on a 4 string, cause i have the sheet music for it by beethoven, and i wanna do it, but i only have a 4 string...get my drift?

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´m not really a fan but I like him and the Moonlight Sonata is performed on 4 string. I think he only plays 4 strings, although I could be wrong...And shouldn´t it be ARE there any Stu fans here?

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Stu plays it on a four. The music spans the entire range of the instrument, though, so you'll need 23 frets to play it properly. The general rule of thumb is to keep the triplet arpeggios on the inner two strings.

Has anyone transcribed or managed to play the fast movement on bass?

4. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    is there anyway it can be played without using 23 frets, cause i have a fender squier jazz, which only has 20...please say there is a way!:(

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I doubt it. I know if you use a slide you can play the notes after the fretboard, but thatd be a pain (wearing the slide)

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    transpose it down three half steps.

7. Stu Hamm playes 5 stringers also... but im sure he played moonlight sonata with a 4 string..

8. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Indeed he does use a 4-string, 24-fret. However, methinks that the bass geetah does not lend itself well to that particular movement of the sonata, and so instead sounds really.. uckkkkkky.

A good Beethoven piece that does lend itself well to the bass though is his violin concerto, in which some passages sound even better on the bass than in violin, in my opinion of course. Mozarts 4th violin concerto has roughly the same effect when played on the bass guitar, especially the 2nd movement. The deeper resonance works well in aiding the slower tempo.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I attribute the "ucckiness" to the active Kubicki Factor being ab-used on the track, the cheesy backing synths, and the fact that he's playing it about three times too fast. Solo with some reverb would have sounded really nice.