Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm's technique on his Live bass solo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tronictq, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Any idea how this guy does it? It's absolutley amazing. He plays the melody as well as the bass part. I'm suspectin he has a 6 string or a 7 string bass. Maybe more!

Tronictq

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    stu hamm plays a 4 string dude...he has an uncanny independence between his hands and fingers...but yeah, he plays a four stringer...

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, he uses a 4 string, taps the melody with his right hand and the bass line with the left hand

4. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Thanks guys for the insight. I never would've known unless I saw him. BTW what band is he from?

Tap is tough stuff..... it might be my bass too..... all i get is bad frett noise and hardly any sound, anymore insight?

Tronictq

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Stu Hamm has two instruction videos. The first has excellent tips on tapping technique and slapping too. I haven't seen his second video. The first comes with an instruction book to go along with the video exercises.

You can buy these videos at bassplace.com. I've also seen those videos at Mars Music. I am sure many other music stores might carry them too. They are worth checking out.

Stu Hamm has some solo albums out. I have his "Radio Free Albemuth" and "The Urge", my favorite. I haven't heard his newest album, but I am sure it is excellent. Check the albums out for inspiring stuff.

jason oldsted

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Stu's known primarily as a sideman for Joe Satriani, though he seldom shows off his tapping chops when he's working in that capacity. That isn't to say he doesn't pull of some scary stuff; listen to Satch's "Crystal Planet" sometime.

He's lately added a five string Urge II to his arsenal, but I think he sticks to four strings for most of his work.

Once you get the basic technique down, most of Hamm's tapping isn't too difficult and doesn't require too much hand independence. I notice, for example, that he tends to favor certain patterns, such as tapping over ninth chords. The exceptions are the classical cover tunes, which require true hand independence, like "Dr Gradus ed Parnassum", "Linus and Lucy" and the "Star Trek" theme. Then you've got to start splitting your brain like a pianist.

7. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    WEll gosh darn it! I am a veteran piano player! Played the thing for 8 years! :) This is going to take a lot more work though.

8. Boplicity

Tronictq, Activebass.com e-mails me regularly. Coincidentally, they e-mailed me today and have set up a shop selling bass books and equipment. They are offering a book of Stu Hamm's own transcriptions of his solo work. I bet that would be very helpful. I'll put up this link and hope it works. If it doesn't, try activebass.com and go to their store.

http://www.activemusician.com/redir.asp?src=p&i=HL.00694823.

jason oldsted

9. Boplicity

Fiddledeedee! That link does not take you to Stu Hamm, but does take you to Activebass' home page. There you will see a link to their "Sheet Music and Books" department. Good luck.

jason oldsted

10. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Thanks man...... i'll check her out. BTW are you a tapper?

Tronictq

11. Boplicity

Sorry to say, I am not a tapper. I did dabble in learning some of Beaver Felton's tapping licks. I liked to show off with them at band warmups and gig sound checks. But I never went any further with it than that. The music my band played had no place for tapping in its style and neither did my traditional blues band. I do admire players who can do it. As you played keys, I think you'll pick it up easily. Good luck.

jason oldsted

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tapping can be useful even in a tradtional blues context. Check out Roscoe Beck's line(s) on "Robben Ford & The Blue Line." Very tasteful and not at all showy.

13. Boplicity

I completely forgot about Roscoe Beck, one of my bass heros. Thanks for the reminder, Christopher. The man is a monster and very humble, too. I met him after an Eric Johnson concert. Just the nicest guy you'd want to meet.

jason oldsted

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Before all, i want to say hello again to everybody in these cool forums. After some vacation, i'm back to work and ready to keep track of your threads and post my own ones.

Tronictq: If you want to hear a cool and amazing example of Stu's tapping, listen to "Flow my tears", included in his "Radio free albemuth" CD. In the second part of this song, he plays 16th note sextuplets as an ostinato riff on bottom while plays a melody mostly made of double whole, whole and half notes on top, ALL AT THE SAME TIME! He also plays it in his first video. You must check it out.

Hope to be helpful. As many people know here, i'm a big fan of Stuart. His work has been an inspiration to me and i've been busy with his licks for a long time (i'm almost done with "flow my tears").:D

Regards.

15. Boplicity

Hey, welcome back, Alvaro. I wondered where you have been and hoped we hadn't lost you.

jason oldsted

16. I've just bought Stu Hamm's "Part 2;Deeper Inside The bass" Hot Licks instructional video. it's got some great stuff on it, but overall it wasn't worth the £24.95 I paid for it- there's too much stuff on warming up and basic scales and basic harmonics techniques which I didn't need, and was hoping would only be on the first video, which I haven't got, and not enough on him explaining tapping pieces.:(

also the drum machine he uses in it sounds really bad- it gets really loud when he's talking- they should have corrected that at mixdown:mad:

[Edited by The Mock Turtle Regulator on 02-05-2001 at 05:52 PM]

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Just get the book, guys. Cliff Engel at http://www.bassically.net has a transcription of "Quahogs" up on his site, but it's a slog, even if you read intonation.