Stu Zender didn't play Space Cowboy!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I can't believe it! The album version of Space Cowboy wasn't played by Stu! One of my favourite 'Zender' basslines was actually played by a mysterious session player...

I keep an eye on the forum over at Stu agreed to answer some questions from members of the board and this is an abridged version of one of the questions:

Q.20) Also, did you play the original (album) version of Space Cowboy (too many rumours floating around about that one)?(by Dee Rosa)

I did not play the album version of Space Cowboy. It’s a kind of sore spot for me because at the time we had finished the album and I had planned a holiday with my then girlfriend. We were coming to the end of our relationship and I wanted to try and get some closure. Jay then told me that we were to go into the studio to record an album version of the single on the date I was supposed to leave. We went to a cafe and had a heart to heart and I was sure he understood why I had to go and see her. My heart was breaking. The holiday was actually planned a month before the new session was booked. Anyway, he informed me that it was cool and that we would work something out. Well needless to say when I arrived back in town he had got another bass player in to play with the band on that version...Mr. X. It was a double whammy for me because I learned on my holiday that my girlfriend had an affair wih someone else.....bogus huh! This was the beginning of the end for me, for I had always looked up to Jay and then, to have him do that really hurt. I do however understand that he had to do what he had to do. It was after all his band.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's pretty unfortunate, I could imagine that being quite the burn, especially if he really wanted to be on that track. But it's also kind of dubious letting relationship issues interfere with your work like that. But then again, we're only human.

oh well, it's still a groovy line.
  3. Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I think Nick Fyffe plays just as cool as Stuart Zender
  4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion and I guess it's personal preference but IMO Nick Fyffe isn't a patch on Stu. His lines aren't bad, they're just so textbook. There's no soul...

Listen to something like Too Young To Die or Space Cowboy (stoned again mix) and then listen to Canned Heat or Love Foolosophy and if you can't hear a huge difference in general quality, groove and originality then, well... each to his own I spose...
  5. Wow. That's one of my favorite bass lines. I guess it doesn't matter who played it, but I just always assumed it was Stu.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer Nick at times too actually. I'm really digging this new disc too.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree entirely - Zender's playing shows originality and a distinctive tone - the only time I liked Fyffe live, was when he copied Zender's lines note for note and I don't know which lines people think he actually "wrote" - as Jay had the tunes written with bass lines before Fyffe played anything - IMO he's nothing more than a solid session player and obviously no loss to the band on the current album showing...:meh:
  8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Nick's definitely a solid player, I saw him when he came to the ACM for the Groove School and jammed with Janek Gwizdal (sp?) beatboxing, that was quite a sight.

Nick's got good feel and had a fair few funky lines (at the groove school at least), but in Jamiroquai he just never really struck me as... groundbreaking. He never seemed to push the boundaries. Listening to Zender's lines there's such an amalgamation of styles, Latin, funk, jazz... And he mixes it all so well, creating creative, interesting and incredibly funky basslines each time. Whereas, in Jamiroquai at least, Nick Fyffe was just playing rehashed old disco lines, it's obvious that the poor guy wasn't given the freedom he deserved to play what he wanted. It's a shame...
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes you're probably right and that it's more a case of he wasn't given the chance to shine, as it has become less a band and more : solo artist plus session guys...?

So - like on the first track of the new album Jay plays the bass line himself - a good track and decent line, but I would love to hear what Zender would have done with it! :)