Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuart Hamm - "Outbound"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 'JC', May 12, 2002.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    So who here is a fan of Stu or this album?
    What would you classify it as?
    Jazz? Fusion?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm a huge Stu Hamm fan, but IMO his songwriting and sound deteriorated after King's of Sleep, which is his best album.

He sounded much, much better when he still used Kubicki's.

Outbound is too much within the boundaries of standard fusion, and the attemps at sounding hip with those Hiphop guys fails miserably too (personal opinion of course).

Get King's of Sleep - Stu at his peak.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Agree. "Kings of Sleep" was great sci-fi rock fusion.

"Outbound" comes second. Some nice melodies, but more coventional CD101 MOR smoove-jazz in terms of genre, as JMX notes. The chops aren't as flashy as they are on "Kings."

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I quite like Outbound (worth the price just to hear those gorgeous harmonics on 'Lydian') my biggest criticism (and it applys to some 'other' bass solo albums as well) is WHY OH WHY they go to the trouble of writing/recording tracks which sound fine as they are AND THEN STICK LAMEASS 80s G***AR NODDLING ON TOP.

STOPPIT

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Very valid point. I've asked myself the same question countless times! I like those fusion-esque albums a lot more w/o the noodlers. Stu does have some very high points though.

6. Star Spangled Banner says it all for me.....

7. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think "Outbound" is a more good sounding recording than "Kings of sleep".
    I really like Stu's collaboration with Frank Gambale and Steve Smith. Check out "show me what you can do" and "The light beyond". Both are smashing! I really like all the albums from stu. I've had the privilige to see him live once. What an experience!!!!

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    off to recordings