Stuart Hamm show in SF Friday 09/30 - Post gig review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This Friday @ 9pm
    The Voodoo Lounge
    2937 Mission St.(between 25th & 26th)

It's an evening with bassist Stuart Hamm performing solos duo and trios with help from:
    Jim Peterson on Sax
    Andy Marchetti on Percussion and
    Jacob Aginsky on Keys.

Also, you can check out Stu's own cool promo at:

htIp://www.spencerhellin.com/stuarthamm/

2. Damn it!!! That is the night I go back to work! I would love to check out that show.

On a side note, I won't be able to get to your gig tonight, BW. But my wife and mother had a great time last week, and so did I.

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's cool, CG. Thanks for coming out.

Incidentally, on the T-shirt thing, was thinking of Chaoslord.

I wonder what happenned to him.

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just got back from Stu's gig I was really impressed.

I don't think I heard Stu play one single tune with the function of a bassist. Please don't take this as criticism, he did fulfill the role of bassist, but also that of a lead melody player. On a couple of tunes, a saxophonist doubled Stuart's lines. Other times, he'd arpeggiate a chord and tap its upper extensions using hammer-ons.

Besides the sax guy, he was accompanied by a guy on Synth and a drummer/percussionists who had two cymbals fall off their stands. I tell you, that guy needed a roadie.

One of the highlights was a composite piece which combined "I want you/She's so heavy, "You Never Give me Your Money" and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Also, he did a Linus & Lucy/Star Trek TOS (The Original Series, for you non trekkies) theme and his slap hoedown schtick. He also did his own version of "America", with proper deference to Jaco.

I walked up to him before the show and shook his hand and told him how much I liked his playing. He was friendly, well, as friendly as you'd expect him to be to a complete stranger. I talked to him briefly about interviewing him for our homepage. I'll e-mail him tomorrow, so now Stu Hamm is aware of TalkBass!;)