Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuart Hamm show in SF Friday 09/30 - Post gig review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This Friday @ 9pm
    The Voodoo Lounge
    2937 Mission St.(between 25th & 26th)

It's an evening with bassist Stuart Hamm performing solos duo and trios with help from:
    Jim Peterson on Sax
    Andy Marchetti on Percussion and
    Jacob Aginsky on Keys.

Also, you can check out Stu's own cool promo at:

htIp://www.spencerhellin.com/stuarthamm/

2. Damn it!!! That is the night I go back to work! I would love to check out that show.

On a side note, I won't be able to get to your gig tonight, BW. But my wife and mother had a great time last week, and so did I.

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's cool, CG. Thanks for coming out.

Incidentally, on the T-shirt thing, was thinking of Chaoslord.

I wonder what happenned to him.

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just got back from Stu's gig I was really impressed.

I don't think I heard Stu play one single tune with the function of a bassist. Please don't take this as criticism, he did fulfill the role of bassist, but also that of a lead melody player. On a couple of tunes, a saxophonist doubled Stuart's lines. Other times, he'd arpeggiate a chord and tap its upper extensions using hammer-ons.

Besides the sax guy, he was accompanied by a guy on Synth and a drummer/percussionists who had two cymbals fall off their stands. I tell you, that guy needed a roadie.

One of the highlights was a composite piece which combined "I want you/She's so heavy, "You Never Give me Your Money" and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Also, he did a Linus & Lucy/Star Trek TOS (The Original Series, for you non trekkies) theme and his slap hoedown schtick. He also did his own version of "America", with proper deference to Jaco.

I walked up to him before the show and shook his hand and told him how much I liked his playing. He was friendly, well, as friendly as you'd expect him to be to a complete stranger. I talked to him briefly about interviewing him for our homepage. I'll e-mail him tomorrow, so now Stu Hamm is aware of TalkBass!;)