Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuart Hamm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by maxoges, Oct 29, 2000.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Does anyone except me like the guy?
    I recently bought his first two solo records. They both kick ass, if you can live with the eighties production sounds on em. The latest one "outbound" is a great album in every way. My favorite album at the time.

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I love Stu's playing also. He was one of my main influences when I started playing in the 80's,great chops but can play with great emotion too. I was in the Bass Center in LA once (I don't know if it's still open. I live in NY now.) and Stuart was in there just hanging out,playing a few of the instruments. I introduced myself just to say, "Hi" and meet him. He was friendly as hell and gave me a few tips for improving my slap technique. It was pretty intimidating to play in front of him but he made me feel at ease. I sat and hung out with him for about 20-30 minutes. His playing in person was unreal. I was f*#king blown away. I realized that day that there really is a thing called talent. I thought someday I might be able to play like that but here I am about 10 years later and I still can't touch it.:)

Oh well.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  5. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Does anyone know how much he practised each day while studying at Berkley? I want to gather all the info I can on him. I know his friend Steve Vai practised 10 hours/day...

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm a longtime fan of Stu's as well. It's a shame Sony/Epic didn't buy Stu's catalog along with Satriani's and Vai's. "Kings of Sleep" was at least as cool as "Surfing with the Alien." Yet another instance of bassplayer discrimination. Maxoges: not sure how much he practised at Berklee, but I do know he had to drop out because of all the work he was getting from Vai and others. He was also there at about the same time that Victor Bailey was there.

7. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the info Chris.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I seen him live twice once with Satch & once solo and he is incredible, He puts so much into the music he's playing weather it be his or if he's a sideman.

9. Stu is GOD!! He is sooo damn good! He has some of the most original ideas today. His tapping technique is soo good too. I love his work and just can't seem to get enough of it. OutBound his latest album rocks!

10. I'm quite surprised to see so many fans of Mr Hamm....

I had an album of his a few years back when I 1st started playing, it had a live solo on it which was utterly unbelievable. I mean MAAAAAAAD SH*T!!!!

Although the whole album was techincally amazing I always felt it was rather devoid of emotion, I feel exactly the same way about Steve Vai and Mr Satriani's solo stuff. It just seems to be notes for the sake of notes, to me anyhow.

I guess it's just not my cup of tea - incredible musicianship tho.

Having said that, I'm toying with the idea of buying Stu's new album, as well as Tony Levin's latest offering. I very rarely musdic by 'bassists' so I might well treat myself!

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'll be the first to admit that Vai's a little too technique-oriented; he shot his wad with "Passion and Warfare" and everything since has been downhill from there. Satriani, on the other hand, seems to be getting better with time; stronger melodies, more adventurous writing (but comparatively little for Stu to do). Vai is Mariah Carey; Satriani is Aretha Franklin.

12. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bending the rules and talking guitar eh?
    I like both Vai and Satriani. I've only seen Satriani live though... But what a consert that was...phew! Satriani on guitar, Stu Hamm on bass, what more can you ask for?

13. (Yeah, I know I just asked the same question about Billy Sheehan in a similar thread. I want some cool BASS NEWS!! So anyway...)

Does anyone know what Stu's currently up to???

Frank Gambale & Steve Smith said they wouldn't be touring as GHS with Stu. So does anyone know what he IS doing besides a few clinics in the South?

Anyone with any insight please advise!

14. I can't answer your question, but you mentinoned some "clinics in the South." Where might I find information on this.

(And yes, I did try to run a search.)

15. Thanks for the info. From what people have posted, it seems like he'll be in Louisiana. It would be cool if he would swing through Houston.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like Stu's playing alot. On alot of the Satch stuff he's very limited to what he can play. But thats part of being a good musician too IMO. (Holding back)

He has a tune called "Hold My Tears The Policeman Said" great song, played with lots of emotion, I also like his line on "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama"

The man can definatly play, and play well.

17. I saw Vai when he came to chile, and i think i was the funniest concert i have ever seen, Vai is like an actor :D .....

In the other hand, Satriani came also, with Stu, but i didn't have the money..... so i saw him on tv, and man what a bass solo he played!!!!!!! i think i have it taped somewhere................

18. Stu Hamm is one of the reasons I started playing bass. I've been working on my two hand tapping to play his version of "Moonlight Sonata" and I've got it down fairly well. Next I'll be attempting "Linus and Lucy." Stu is an awesome bass player, and I hope I get to see him play live one of these days.

19. I saw that concert! It was taped from the Santiago show. It was almost better than the new official DVD release. Maybe less pressure, I don't know. I just thought it was a killer show.