Stuart Spector Designs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElephantTalk, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    I've been searching for info on this but have come to no conclusion.
    There are models with the "Spector" design on the head.
    There are some with the SSD (letters) on the head.
    What's up with the ones that actually have Stuart Spector Designs written on the head?

Can someone explain the differences between these versions?

2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    typically the year it was produced. go to the spector website and you will be able to get all the info you need. back in the 80s/early 90s spector was owned by kramer for a bit, IIRC.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The above is correct - when Stuart started building instruments again around 1991, the "Spector" trademark and logo was still owned by Kramer (or more correctly, whoever owned Kramer's assets at that point) and he has to use an "alternate" name for his new company. In 1998 he was able to regain the name and inherent value it possess in the marketplace - while they were of all intents and purposes the same instruments, the average buyer would recognizes "Spector" much easier and with more history and prestige than "SSD"* Apart from the name and headstock logo I believe there was no major difference apart from the various upgrades and new models that any company adds over the years, such as the Czech-build basses that were added in 1994 under the SSD name (without "crown" inlays at that point).

Company history.

Model history.

*This may be a reason why SSD's are a better value on the used market, being by-and-large the same bass but having a "lower profile" due to the name difference.
  4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I have an SSD Euro model from around 98. The only difference from 99 or so when they got their logo back is mine has abalone dot inlays, not the mother of pearl Spector inlays. An SSD bass is every bit as good as a Spector with the S logo.
  5. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Do you mean actually written on the headstock or the truss rod cover?
  6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    My Stuart Spector Design era bass has the alternate logo. Instead of the stylized "S" such as my avatar, it is the letter "S" "S" and "D" all kind of overlapping. They are not nearly as stylized as the original/current Spector logo, but the way they are overlapped makes them kind of look the same from a distance.
  7. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I've seen the SSD logo, but I believe the original post was Stuart Spector Designs actually written on the headstock. Never heard of that :eek: