Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuart Spector Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Johnny BoomBoom, May 15, 2002.

1. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase an NS5CR bass ,however some of the details perplex me. I'm told that it is only available in Black (they had some Blue ones but are sold out). I am assured by the store that these are definitely Czech Republic built basses.

However, the difference is that they do not have EMG electrics - ie non EMG pickups and non EMG preamp. Also, instead of crown inlays as per the newer figured maple models, these have dot inlays - much like the Czech 5 string I already own.

Did Spector produce a bass like this or should I steer clear???? The deal is excellent, even to the point of if I wanted to put EMG pickups and an EMG preamp in it, I would still save several hundred pounds (GBP) - which is why I'm keen to find out if this is for real (seems like one of those deals that is too good to be true !)

Thanks!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The older model NS5CR did not have the crown inlays, and Musician's Friend bought most of the last ones and closed them out for around $999. IIRC, all that they had were black ones, I guess because that's all they had left.

But they did have EMG pickups.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hmmmm. Sounds fishy. All the music mags I see (that carry Spector) have the NS5CR (sometimes labeled NS5CRFM) in various colors, with the crown/hourglass inlays and all still have the premium EMGs (not the HZ, high impedence models).

Also all the old Czech 5s (with dots) are still 34" scale. The newer ones (with the inlays) are 35" scale like the USA series.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    is a korean neck through bass
    worth $425?
    spector of course!!
    also it is glossed over the wood.
    how much would the price go down for resale
    if i were to have it pro painted?

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Embellisher - I already own a Blueburst NS5CR, with the 34" scale and the dot inlays!!!! I have found this really good deal - if it is a genuine Czech Spector, if the electrics suck, I could even upgrade it to the EMG DC40s and EMG BT series preamp, and still save hundreds of pounds!!! I'm trying to ascertain if the rest of the bass is Czech Spector!

Reason - the BLueburst one I have my wife bought for my 30th (ain't she nice). I'm looking for one with slightly less sentimental value for gigging and practising, so that I need to worry a bit less if is shows signs of wear and tear. (Although, I will use the blue one for recording!)