Stuart Zender

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Drone, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Are there any Stu Zender fans here? His bass playing on the first three Jamiroquai albums (IMO) Was really funky and solid...He had a huge woody Warwick tone and he played some very original and musical lines...He could really come up with nice parts, and really lay it down with a nice synth or enveloped sound...For sure a very important influence in Acid Jazz...Anybody know what he's up to these days?
  2. Drone, I'm with ya man, Zender's bass lines and tone on the Jamiroquai CDs were awesome. He has such a great feel, very difficult to nail down. Not sure what he's up to these days, but he has a Web site at
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I really like his line on "Space Cowboy"; he never plays the same thing twice, and the variations are really inventive. (Makes it hard to learn by ear, though!)
  4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    It's my opinion that Jamiroquai's first album has superior bass playing in comparison to the other three.
    On that album, the vibe was better...he was singing on peace and liberation, and on the other albums on drugs, and cars. Loser.
    The new album and bassist doesn't work for me.
  5. Elle

Feb 25, 2001
    Stuart Zender's great! The last thing I heard about him was that he had left (possibly-I dunno) Jamiroquai to spend more time with his girlfriend Mel Blatt (from All Saints) and their little girl Ella.
  6. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    you're talking apples and oranges; yes, the first album had a "better vibe" than the others, but does that automatically make the bass playing "superior", as well?

"mrs. brown, you've got a lovely daughter"

that song has a "good vibe"... (wink, wink!)

but getting back to mr zender...

fav lines: mr moon (sexy slap line), space cowboy (essentially one long bass solo), stillness in time (propulsive bass groove), use the force (so-so song, great bass intro and groove), high times (great line in the choruses), etc.

and how about that warwick tone!!! isn't there a thread somewhere on talkbass about warwicks having a crappy recording tone? what gives!?
  7. well jamiroquai is a major band, and i'm sure the professional producers they work with can figure out how to make it sound good. maybe people here just record it wrong. lots of warwick users (p-nut!) have GREAT recorded tone.
  8. Stuart Zender's an absolutely awesome bass player, very very funky. My vote for his best bass playing album goes to Return of the Space Cowboy, with favourite bass playing songs including Too young to Die, Manifest Destiny, Mr Moon, Scam, High Times, Travelling Without Moving. Plus, he's an amazing live player as well.

He's got another band going at the minute (well, a duo) called Azur, although the release date for material keeps getting put back, and I haven't heard anything of late.

By the way, he's not exclusively a Warwick man. The first album was all Warwick, but he also used a 70s Jazz and an Albemic for the ROTSC album.
  9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Stuart is one groovy bass player!
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Stu and Stefan Lessard are the two guys who have influenced me more than anyone else. his feel is unlike anyone elses, that's why the first 3 jamiroquai cd's have such a distinct sound to them. and synkronized SUCKS ASS because he's not there. it totally doesn't sound like jamiroquai.

favorite songs: space cowboy (especially live!), if i like it i do it, scam

and as for the warwick tone question...when my band recorded our cd, the engineer marveled at how well my sound recorded :p stu, stefan, pnut, etc etc etc. all kick ass warwick you haters can lick 'em :D

11. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    This thread shouldbe merged with the Jamoroqui thread because thy are both about Zender , not the entire band.