Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stuart Zender?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SeedyBloke, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Hey Folks!
    Seeing as this website is seen by people from all over the world I was wondering if many people knew much about Stuart Zender, a brilliant bassist from England. He is an amazing bass player and by far my favourite bassist ever!!
    He was the bassist from Jamiroquai but left around the time of the Travelling without moving album. I know that u guys from the states may have heard Jamiroquai but they only seemed to get recognition over there quite recently after Stuart had left the band.
    If you haven't heard him before I really reccomend u buy these Jamiroquai albums: Emergency on Planet Earth and Return of the space cowboy.
    People that have heard him - Whats he up to now?? I heard he is working on a band called Azur.

2. Hey Seedy,
    I love Stuart Zender's playing.. in fact, a lot of people on the board do. We've had a few discussions about him.. do a forum search for his name.
    He has a Web site that I'm sure has the latest on what he's been up to.. http://www.stuartzender.com

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just got "Emergency on Planet Earth", and it's incredibly funky! It'll take me a while to work out some of those tunes. IMO, it's much better than "Return of the Space Cowboy".

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah! stu is the man!

but who´s the new bassist on Jamiroquai??
    I saw the woodstock 99 video and they performed "Black Capricorn Day" and I saw this really young white guy with some groovy lines... at first i thought it was Zender, then did research and learn the story and laught at my error (cuz Zender is black :D)... anyway loved the biography of Zender...learning bass by picking some Jaco Pastorius albums.

so who´s the new guy in Jamiroquai??

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Err...Zender is white. Isn't he??

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Nick Fyffe is the new bassist .. isn't he black??
    i'm confuzzled :(

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well i saw a guy in woodstock 99...WHITE! (and with a red five string ZON :D)

and i saw some Zender pics....maybe not that black...kinda brown... or maybe i was wearing sunglasses at the time!

i don´t know if Nick Fyffe is the same guy in woodstock...

8. Hey Guys

Nick Fyffe is the new bass player for Jamiroquai and he's white (not that it really matters). Stuart Zender is the original player and he is also white. Interestingly there is an interview with Zender (I think it's on the Jamiroquai web site) where he talks about issues of colour and racism/reverse racism etc. Anyway he's one hell of a funky dude. IMHO I think he's much more interesting than Nick Fyffe, but maybe that's cause they're going after a disco/keyboard bass sort of sound at the moment. Anyway that's my .02 cents. C-YA, keep groovin.

Ben

9. I believe Stuart Zender has been for Jamiroquai what all the marvellous James Brown's Rhythm Sections has been for mr. Brown himself.

I.e.: It will be hard to have others hits from Jamiroquai.

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've seen Jamiroquai live twice, once on the 'Travelling Without Moving' tour (feat. Stuart Zender), and then on the 'Synkronised' tour (two days before the album, so a lot of the material played was unknown).

BenHack - Whilst Zender might seem to have had much more of a funky prescence in the band, you have to bear in mind that he has had three albums to make his mark. Fyffe only played about three or four tracks on 'Synkronised', as the band wanted a "keyboard bass" sound on the album.

Having seen both bassists live, I thought that Fyffe had more stage prescence than Zender. NF got right up at the front of the stage and really made the bass parts his own, rather than trying to imitate SZ. SZ tended to lurk around near the drumkit, and actually sat down a couple of times during the show, as I remember. Also, I didn't think that his sound was particularly great (live) - quite difficult to make it out in the mix (again, live).

Les Claypool - You're right about NF playing Zon basses. He played a pair of Musicman 5-strings on the European leg of the 'Synkronised' tour, and on UK television programmes to promote 'Canned Heat'. When Jamiroquai were playing in California, Joe Zon turned up at Nick's hotel room with some basses for him to try. Nick kept hold of a red Zon Sonus 5, whilst having a bass custom-built. He now has a white Sonus fretted 5, with an MM-style pickup.

David

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i know is not about color... they are both groovy!

and yeah give the new kid some time... although the last Jamiroquai album bummed, i still hope they rise again... man i´m going to get one of their cd´s...from the Zender era... which one is good?

12. Hey Guys

Sorry if anyone misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to imply that anyone was making a big issue of colour. I guess I need a bit more sleep (my bad :D). Anyway David I've gotta agree that Nick Fyffe does need another go to see whether he can really play that funky s#*t. I'm just not sure from what I have heard of him that he brings quite the same personality to the bass lines (but he definately can play). Well I gotta split but again sorry if I ruffled any feathers. C-ya and keep groovin.

Ben

13. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I'll recommend "Emergency on Planet Earth". I got mine for $9; you can't go wrong.

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    -added "emergency on planet earth" to my wishlist

15. Hello Folks!
    I'm glad that there are lots of people that appreciate stuart zenders bass playing as much as I do.
    It seems to me that a lot of people rate zenders best album as Emergency on planet Earth. I'd probably agree that its best for the most consistantly good album but Return of the space cowboy has got 2 tracks on it that just blow me away! I.e. Mr Moon and Return of the Space Cowboy. They are both, in my opinion, two of his finest moments.

16. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just gave Mr. Moon a listen, and I agree: it's a pretty funky track. umm, that's all.
    :D

17. I'd say that "Just Another Story" from the Return of the Space Cowboy cd is one of my favorites. It's definantly a good one to sit down with on some good headphones...It's about ten minutes of awesome Bass grooves and fills. There are a lot of great percussion and keyboard things going on the enitre time too, you hear something new everytime you listen...The bass line during the flute solo/outro is just perfect in the way it locks in with the kick drum...I like how Stu used envelope filters and synth effects to add spacey feels to the music. He also got some nice earthy, woody tones from his warwick. I have to say, however, that he sometimes played with some weird trace elliot tone, try "scam" off of The Return of the Space Cowboy. however, It worked great...One of my favorite players...