Stuart Zender

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lorenzini, May 30, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've looked for some dedicated Stu Zender threads but didn't find any. Delete/redirect if there already is one, thanks.

To the topic:

This guy is funky! First off, his tone... I usually do not like the sound of Warwicks but his sounds great. Has an amazing punch/growl/zipper sound in the upper register and his slap sound is just thumpy as hell.

This guy is the reason I'm thinking of trading in for a...

I'm still not getting a Warwick :bag:
  2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Stu is still by far one of my favs. He just had a book of transcriptions done by Simon Merrick. I am not sure if a Spector will nail his tone but I could be wrong. I've read many times that his tone is either because of his preamps or just plain ol studio magic.

3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    A spector would be as close though, seens that warwick pretty much stole the bass (Streamer that is).
  4. I'm in the Spector camp, but Warwick did pay to license the Streamer design.
  5. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yeah Spector's LOOK like Warwicks but they sound like two totally different basses. They have totally different woods, pickups, etc... But I would whole heartedly agree Zender would sound good on any bass. It's all in his fingers.
  6. Did this guy play w/Jamiriquoi? If so, did he play on 'Canned heat'?
  7. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    No I believe I remember reading that "canned heat" was a keyboard. Zender is such an awesome player that he could probably play those lines though. It's kinda funny. He did do bass cuts on that album, but Jay Kay was so pissed that he left the band, that he changed most of the tracks to keyboard. MAN what I would play for those tracks.

After only four years of playing, he nailed the "Black Market" album from Weather Report and joined Jamiroquai. He is by far one of the greatest bass players of all time in my book. Right up there with Jamerson, Jaco, and John Paul Jones.
  8. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I'm a big fan of Jamiroquai, especially their first albums with Mr. Zender on them. He does have incredible tone. And Mr Fyffe is a great bassist too, I've got a Live Jamiroqaui DVD from Italy that's got some great bass octave chops. I'll pull out the disco-esque basslines now and then.

I've often contemplated started a Jamiroquai "Tribute" band... :cool:
  9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    yeah i'm a big jamiroquai fan too and zender is definately a great bassist. His phrasing and rhythm are exceptional. That Nick Fyffe dude isn't bad either but i think zender has more funk and speed.
  10. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Yeah, Zender knows how to play alright! I saw Jamiroquai a bunch of times, the last time was maybe '97 when he was still with the band and he was fantastic.
    One of the first tunes I learned to play was "When You Gonna Learn" :D
  11. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    It's Miiii-sta, Moon who plays the tuuuune,
    Mista Moon who knooooooows.........
  12. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Fyffe is a good bassist but he doesn't have the funk of Zender. When I say funk I mean a specific feel that Zender has basically created with Jamiroquai. It's like whenever Rocco has a replacement bassist ... It's just not the same!
  13. terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Zender motivates my playing as much as anyone alive. Great bassist.!!!!!
  14. "return of the space cowboy" has been one of my favorite albums for more than ten years, and by extension, stuart zender has been one of my favorite bassists...but now i come to find out that apparently he didn't play on the album...anyone know the whole story?
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My main influence. Btw, that's Andrew Levy (BNH) on "When You Gonna Learn". Jason didn't have a band when he recorded that song, so Andrew played bass on it as a favor. I've got so much bootleg and unreleased stuff, I can get my Zender fix anytime. :hyper: Right now he's playing for Mark Ronson while he's in the UK to finish the paperwork for the sell of his home over there. He lives in LA now. He also told me that he's writing some new funky stuff, as well as working on more Leroy stuff. He said that he's waiting for the "next wave", and he congratulated me on the India.Arie stuff, so that was cool. Didn't think he'd heard it! . As for his sound, you won't get that in a Spector, unless it has a wenge fingerboard.
  16. Check out the 2 Jamiroquai bass transcription books from They are very accurate, and the 2nd edition covers strictly Stu's playing! Well worth it IMHO. Almost finished learning "Stillness In Time". :cool: :bassist:
  17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Does anyone know if this is the case? Or did he only play on some of the songs.

Oh, and I'm a HUGE Zender fan and have been ever since I was first turned on to Jamiroquai.
  18. OK, let's clear up the confusion. It has only been recently reported (from the Q and A session with Stuart Zender posted at ) that Stu did not play on the album-only version of the song 'Space Cowboy' (from the album "Return of the Space Cowboy"). It is just that ONE song from that album. He played ALL of the other songs on it, as well as the video/single 'Stoned Again' version of Space Cowboy (which is better and much funkier than the album version IMHO). The bassist for the album version of the song "Space Cowboy" has only been identified as Mr. X. This person was rumoured to be Randy Hope-Taylor, but this has been denounced. Supposedly, it was some unknown producer...identity still unknown.

Hope this helps.
  19. stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    This is really strange because I've jammed along to the whole album many times and whenever i get to that last track it just doesn't feel as right and I can't groove it as well as the others hah! now I know why, Stu's magic isn't there. It is a fine bass line, but just has a different character to the rest of the album....
  20. -And I gig a lot, so I'm spreadin' the love. I play in a (reception/ festival/ bar/ corporate) band in which I request to play his Jamiroquai tunes very often.

Stu grooves!

His tone, relaxed, concise feel, and solid time are two very appealing things.

Stuart Zender is definite favorite.