stubborn guitar player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman60, Jul 30, 2001.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hey guys, I'm in a band with a really stuborn guitar player. Now I'm not sure, but I think he's making really huge eqalization mistakes on his amp. I know this is a bass forum but you guys seem to know what you're talking about and I'm running out of people to ask. He eq's the thing bass-10 mid- 0 Treble 10. He has the gain at 10 and the contour at like 9. This is a Marshall Valvestate (tube preamp, solid state power amp). So he has to crank the thing really loud to compete with our singer's guitar amp which is an all tube Marshall. I've tried to convince him to go a little easier on the EQ because with his loud volume I thought it might damage the speakers. Am I right? Also, I have been told that it is a mistake to use reverb with distortion when playing power chords. Is this true? Cause I can't get him to turn off the reverb. Thanks for you help guys, I don't know where else to turn. Just tell me if I'm right or not. And if I am give me some advice on what to do to convince him.

frustrated bass player,
  2. you're right, that is ridiculous, especially in a band format. there's no way his bass should be set above 10 o' clock, much less 10. that's your area. usually bass at 9 o'clock, mid flat, and treble at 3 o'clock is a good place to start for guitarists, then take it from there.
  3. When I play guitar, I keep the Treble and Gain at roughly 8, Middle at about 6, Bass at 6. When playing with distortion, keep the reverb no higher than 3. Turn it as high as you want when playing clean.
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I don't think there is a right or wrong way to EQ a guitar amp, there are too many other variables involved. I doubt you would want to play an LP on the neck pickup at the same settings as a Tele on the bridge pup. And, of course, much of the tone is in the hands. Bottom line is how does it sound? If it sounds like crap then some knob changing is probably in order. When Eric Clapton was in Cream he would dime all the knobs on his Marshall, nobody complained about the tone.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A guitarist who takes all the mids out of a Marshall and uses reverb with the gain at maximum should be drawn and quartered. :)

Perhaps he's covering up a lack of talent?
  6. my perfect EQ :

guitarist = little bass + lot of mids + quite some treble

bass = lots of bass + quite some mids + some highs